S1 "project car" selling prices

That’s happened to me before. I think they have a super secret probation setting for people that offer more criticism than fawning praise, where every comment you make has to be approved by a mod.

1 Like

Well, it must not be what you say, but how you say it, because others who criticize are getting posted immediately! I don’t hold back, but I also don’t slam people personally. And I’m effusive with praise where it’s warranted. But I also call out the bullsh!t.

1 Like

I’ve had comments blocked as well. They seem especially protective of repeat sellers…flippers and dealers. They bring home the bacon, after all.

I think BaT’s best days are in its rear views.

1 Like

Are you planning to wait a while before resorting to listing yours there? It does seem to be increasingly scammy.

Oh man, BaT finally posted two of my four posts, thus skewing what I said to dovetail with others’ comments, and trying to cover up what appears to be obvious shill bidding (45k to 80k in a single bid). What a frigging farce! Really pisses me off.

1 Like

You could submit that comment and see of it ever gets posted :wink:

1 Like

Quite the thread drift here, but I’ll be facing bonnet transport in a few weeks too. I was considering using the below system myself. By the sign in the window maybe it’s from Dick Maury? Maybe we should have a separate thread for this topic. I think there are a lot of clever solutions out there. I’m intrigued by the idea of lifting thru the trim gaps. Just have to be ultra careful not to chip the edge if freshly painted.

I have the car listed on another forum and stated “no brokers or scammers”. A couple weeks ago I was virtually assaulted by a broker/flipper who said she was representing a customer. She wanted my contact information. I asked her to deal through the PM system. She contacted me via PM and asked for my contact information. I asked if that’s all she wanted…bottom line…yes…not a single question about the car. When I wouldn’t relent and give her my phone number she got very nasty in the ad string by making false allegations about the car and tossing out sophomoric insults along the way… Eventually the site administrators told her to back off.

In the course of the discussion, she threatened that if the car showed up on BAT, she would be taking care of business from the peanut gallery. I’m not in the least concerned about the provenance of the car…I have many hundreds of photos from rotisserie to completion It speaks for itself. I’m just not sure I want to deal within the element in the peanut gallery who are there just for the entertainment. If this flipper showed up it would assuredly become a sideshow that could quickly detract from the whole point of the comment feature and impact the final outcome. Anyway, there’s far more than meets the eye on BAT. Flippers and agents for dealers are all over the place…as they are on the internet at large.

I don’t want to sell the car to someone who just turns around and flips it. I insist that a buyer or his/her pre-purchase agent look at the car and drive it before purchase so that everyone is truly happy at the end of the transaction. If I smell a bottom feeder broker or flipper, they will be sent packing. The car represents over a decade of investment in my hobby and I want it to go to someone who truly appreciates it. If that doesn’t work out, then I’ll keep it.

1 Like

Indeed. I wrapped the thin strips (plumbers hangar strapping) with masking tape and also masked the sheet metal. Double straps on both sides. No problems. The spacing and splayed angle of the lift eyes is important.

WTF! That’s they point at which I’d be requesting her contact information and referring to a lawyer to draft a tortious interference lawsuit. Who do these people think they are?

I can relate. I’m dreading having to navigate those waters. These people are worse than ambulance chasers. They’ve likely never once picked up a spanner.

One more off topic…

I built the cab and bonnet trollies at different widths so that the bonnet cart slides between the frame of the one for the larger cab unit. This allowed for a smaller footprint in the garage and made it possible to park another vehicle in beside the occasionally dormant project.

1 Like

Well we have indeed drifted into ‘What’s a girl to do?’. From this view I see nothing good happening until the bonnet it off and stored somewhere else.

I have had the bonnet off of mine on 4 occasions with no drama and only a few minutes impostion on my friends (more that a few minutes I suppose if you count the coffee and eats beforehand and the self-congratulatory contemplation after).

Takes about 4 minutes if you prep the car before the workers arrive.

Seems like one solution would be to get a short-term storage unit and drive the car there for bonnet removal and storage.

Once the bonnet is lifted off 3 can carry it as far as necessary for final placement:

Sorry I do not live closer.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d be over in a heartbeat if I lived within a reasonable distance.

Earlier I asked how long it would be off of the car.

Oh, I was going to suggest store it in the backyard, if that was a secure location, if it was to be off just a couple of days while you changed the clutch. Got a covered patio in a fenced backyard?

Fenced in yes, but it would have to be turned to fit through a gate and there is no covering. It would be outside exposed potentially for months.

Just a thought.

I’ve been watching that listing not because I’m interested in bidding, but it seems to be a class in how a seller should not run a BaT auction. It will be interesting to see how the final bidding goes. I’m pretty sure it will be RNM, as I think the seller has had an inflated perception on its value.

But overall, I suspect it is a really good car, and could be made an excellent driver with a few thousand $$$ and a couple months of weekends in the garage fixing all the little things. But I think it “has good bones” and there isn’t anything to really fear. The question of it being listed as a '65 is trivial to me - it is clearly a '64 model year built in late '63, and state title offices often make mistakes. I read that Pennsylvania would issue title in the year it was first registered there, so there are explanations for the mistake. It is correctable with a little patience.

An exception could be the engine/transmission, though, as the driving videos aren’t real helpful. The seller just posted another driving video about an hour ago, and at least this one shows a lot more, including the car moving through the gears. But @tommykat1, I respectfully disagree that the new video checks all the boxes, particularly on the cold start part. He did the walk around and put hands on the manifold, but then there is an editing cut before he starts the car, and right after start the temp gauge moves up to around 50C or so before another edit. It clearly wasn’t a full cold start.

As you mentioned, Tom, there were BaT posters criticizing the criticisms. I only made one comment which was intended to be constructive for the seller to provide better information, but I’d appreciate your opinion as someone who has been watching that auction - were my comments too critical or out of line?

A half hour to go on the bidding. I predict RNM, but will be interesting to see how it is valued given the shortcomings in marketing. Probably could have pulled the price up 20% with an active seller who marketed the car better.

I bought the HF portable shed last winter to store a few things while building the new shop on the footprint of an old garage we tore down. Worked pretty well, although not ideal with a lot of snow load. (Not an issue in the south). I think I paid $200 and when I was done with it listed it for sale for $100. Had a buyer within 15 minutes.

I guess my question is, and I’m genuinely curious, what is the main concern in dropping the lump with the bonnet on? I understand it’s not traditional way. I’ve twice done it with bonnet off, and yes it’s more convenient, if you have the storage space and you have muscle.

But having done it before I am pretty confident that the dropping can be accomplished with nearly the same process with the bonnet supported vertical. Without that it would be a head buster trying to disconnect everything, but when it’s vertical it affords the same exact view of the car. I would just disconnect the hinges and hoist it using rope and an eye hook into a roof joist.

What is new is the car raising part. I doubt anyone would have an issue if I had a 2 or 4 post lift. People have definitely done that. Are we concerned that it would be inherently dangerous to either manually jack it or rig up a purpose constructed under carriage rig to lift the front end from under the wheels using a 4 ton gantry crane? The bonnet would of course be closed and latched for that, and the lift would be very slow and gradual.

Jeffrey, no, your comments were not out of line!

I missed the edit in the cold start. I was just happy to see oil pressure and an engine that sounded fine. BTW, i have yet to see a true cold start on BaT. They are all doctored. No jaguar starts from cold without a bit of cranking with full choke. And that’s half the fun.

As you guessed, it was RNM. If the sender had posted that video originally in lieu of the poor original one, and had been forthcoming in his answers from the start, this would have gone into the 90k range, l estimate.

Once again, I have to say I’m distraught that BaT eliminated some of my comments from being published.