S1----steering rack question

Looks like my upper ball joints and the steering rack need replacing. I’m looking at buying a rebuilt steering rack. Not sure I want to try to rebuild it myself. Anyone have any experience with using one of these you could share—good/bad/quality/etc.?

I’ve been very skeptical off all new items being offered lately…
I had my steering rack rebuilt by Coventry 3 or 4 years ago and have no complaints , I also purchased the rod ends from them but they sent me the wrongs ones (limited angle) so double check them if you do.

Marco

1 Like

Tom, have you tried adjusting the shims on the top joints?

I put in a new steering rack from Welsh last summer. I think that all of theirs are rebuilt units (there’s a core charge). It looked virtually brand new, fit perfectly and has functioned flawlessly.

thank you Mark-----I was thinking of going to Welsh to get it.

---- Mark Gordon noreply@jag-lovers.com wrote:

no, I have not. From what I can tell, it is past that point. thanks–tom

We routinely replace the steering racks with new ones on all our rebuilds as we are converting LHD to RHD. The available racks are of good quality and the cars drive well.
Rebuilding the racks is possible and I have done this on occasion. The problem is that if either your pinion or the ball joint on the end of the tie rod is worn, rebushing the tube and replacing the bearings will not fix this. I have pulled a number of LHD racks apart and there is usually wear on the pinion teeth where it sits centred in the rack.

Some time ago there were a number of new racks presented as replacements for E Type but we’re, I think, modified racks from another car type, perhaps MGB.

I am sure they performed well enough but might be worth checking if keen on originality.

Having just checked on the well known auction site they are still being sold and as an improvement with reduced number of turns lock to lock. As I say probably fine but not an original E Type design or unit.

1 Like

Who is your source and do they make racks for the left side drivers?

---- abowie noreply@jag-lovers.com wrote:

Ball joints easy to find. Overhaul your rack…send to Quality Remanufacturing , Patterson, NJ. 973 8800. Great shop. Very reasonable and fast. All the top vendors use them, BTW.

I am sure there is a more elegant way to portray the information below, however, here it is. In essence E Bay UK being sold by a known UK supplier. £370 non exchange but note it is NOT an original E Type rack.

Regards
Pat

eBay
Shop by category
Enter your search keyword
Search…

Search
Advanced
Daily Deals Sell Help & Contact
My eBayExpand My eBay
You’ve 5 new notifications

Back to search results |Listed in category:
Vehicle Parts & Accessories>Car Parts>Other Car Parts>See more Jaguar E Type Series 1 / Series 2 Steering Rac…
JAGUAR-E-TYPE-Series-1-Series-2-Steering-Rack-NEW-LHD-C25493
Mouse over image to zoom
Have one to sell? Sell it yourself
JAGUAR E TYPE Series 1 / Series 2 Steering Rack NEW LHD C25493

Seller information
shotgun-jag (8884 Feedback score: 8884)
98.9% Positive Feedback

Visit Shop: JAG SHOP
See other items
Registered as a business seller

Condition:New
Time left: Time left: 13d 04h (20 Aug, 2017 17:35:43 BST)

£370.00

Add to Watch list Add to collection 2 watching

New condition
Located in United Kingdom
Collection:
Click & Collect from your local Argos
Est. collection date Tue. 15 Aug.
Select a store
or
Postage: £12.50 Standard Delivery | See details

Item location:
London, United Kingdom

Posts to:
Worldwide
Delivery:
Estimated by Tue. 15 Aug.
Payments:
PayPal Visa/MasterCard, American Express Processed by PayPal
PayPal Credit From £18 per month for 24 months.
See payment information
Returns:
14 days refund, buyer pays return postage | See details
Protection:
Money Back Guarantee | See details - opens in a new window or tab

Sorry…973 523 8800. 565 East 37th Street, Patterson, NJ 07504.

No question, I would call Dick Maury at Coventry West. I was just over there and he had several racks in process. Check his website for helpful info on racks and many other topics:
http://www.georgiajag.com/Documents/XKE%20Manual%20Rack/ManualRack.html

I just ordered one from Dick this morning. I can rest easy knowing the quality of it. I came close to ordering the SNG Barrett new one, the one with more teeth that corners quicker, but didn’t know enough about it to do it. I’m happy with buying Docks rebuilt one.
---- 1968 E-Type FHC noreply@jag-lovers.com wrote:

looking for a new rack for my 70 etype, Martin Robey offers a new rack with the orginal ratio. Has anyone have experience with this product?