S1 tunnel tabs tune me up

I really liked the Caswell plating kit I bought for my restoration. This guy’s process for plating is not ideal and much better results can be achieved using a slightly better set up.
Learn more here if you like to:

There’s lots of YouTube’s on the process watch a bunch ,I just picked one for information purposes for you folks. I have enough experience with it now that I do it my way .
One thing about zinc is it dulls a bit with time that’s why you use a brass brush on it makes it shinny and for the record ,Once these parts are covered in oil and dirt you’ll never be able to tell especially suspension , but by by rusty parts

Cheers

2 Likes

Am I understanding that the 3.8 S-1 cars do not have the acorn nut on the radio console? I don’t see any such nut on my console but I don’t truly know about its originality…only that it came in the car.

Seems that way for most 3.8’s from all pics I’ve seen, but later 3.8’s had the 4.2 type console with the acorn nut at the bottom & rectangular ash tray.

Randall Botha

Hi Scott
This is what mine looks like. Very close to your car number I seem to recall.

Cheers Dave

thanks Dave. Mine is 887030. 26Sep62 date. Here’s the console sitting on the bench when I was sorting the radio/speakers. Just the holes at the top. So, it seems that is the way the early E-types were produced. Some many little undocumented changes with these cars.

1 Like

Dave are those knurled screws the originals mine didn’t have them missing

Hi Jim
Im not 100% sure as it’s nearly 30 years ago now. However my recollection is that some of the knurled screws were there, I think at least 2, but I installed all 4 based on the number of holes in the console and associated threaded holes. Mine is 887425, November 62.
Cheers Dave

1 Like

Cheers. Thks for the info