S1 VIN number location(s) other than VIN plate?

Dear experts,
I have seen similar topics asked previously. I recently acquired an S1, I am able to locate my VIN number plate riveted on the front of left hand upper valance.

The car was manufactured in South Africa and first registration year is 1970

Question: Is there any other location that VIN / Chassis number stamped on chassis?
Reason for this question is it is being asked as part of road registration of the car.

Thank you

In addition to the “commission plate” (a VIN plate) in the engine bay with Car, Body, Engine and Gear Box numbers stamped in, US-export cars (and perhaps S Africa) have small aluminum tabs affixed to the front windshield seal with the car number.

Photo below shows stripped down chassis with tab still attached to the windshield frame.

1 Like

Thank you.
Is there any location anybody aware of? I.e. engraved on firewall etc?

On my S2 there is a small plate rivetted to the body high up under the rear bumper on the righthand side. That matches the "Body Number’ on the plate in my engine compartment. It is not the same as the actual VIN number which I think only appears on the plate in the engine compartment and on the tag on the windscreen A pillar.

David

Right, David, my car (1975) has the same tag. As it is painted with the car it may be difficult to read with the bumper mounted.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Thank you all for your help

On our 72 there is a stamping directly on the inner guard on the LHS. Can be disguised with paint. Let me know if you woul like a picture. Ours is 1L 25XXX BW. The BW is for Borg Warner - its transmission. Paul

Thanks Paul for the info.

I stripped the paint until it’s bare metal and seems it’s not there for my 1970 S1.

My car was assembled in South Africa.

Attached picture how it looks like.

Hardi

Hmmmm. Different arrangement, our car was built in the UK. Same colour - Old English White.