S1 XJ6, carb needles for HS8's

Hi Folks,

This car had HS8’s put on before I bought it. It has manual enrichment too.

I’ve been experiencing weak mixture around 3000 RPM and up. It starts and idles perfectly, but when you reach about 3000 it waffles and no power.

Before thinking I have weak needles, I did check fuel pressure, cleaned carbs, verified correct jets, needles and springs in the carbs, checked compression and valve timing and valve clearances. I also tried a couple of used coils.

I think this leaves me with needing richer needles, beginning around half throttle.

From the book Tuning SU Carbs by G.R.Wade, I see that I have all carb parts correct for '73 '74 4.2 XJ’s. The needle is BCC or CUD1150.

Has anyone a suggestion for another needle? This book has lots of info but no direction by part number.

I see a earlier year car uses CUD1133 or BBK needle.

Perhaps one of our Euro members will be more familiar with this.

Thanks,

Rob

This may be an ign timing issue rather than a mixture problem, Robert - depending on how 'lean mixture was diagnosed. It’s worth while investigating settings and dist advance mechanisms?

On the carb side; did you verify float levels?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

2 Likes

Thank you Frank,

I forgot to mention that I did check ign timing. If I recall from a year ago, it was 8 or 10 BTDC at idle and around 36 all in at 3000.

I found this from the archives which suggest a BAW needle might be better than the one I have:

Maybe Tony has something to add?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob,

maybe your advance mechanism got lost during this year? - It all sounds as if advance wasn’t working properly. In standard setup the two HS8 with BCC needles are just fine; you can use red and green springs (both indicated even in my SII OM).

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

I have quite a few HS8 carbs

some have BAW, some BCC, not sure about all of them

You can check the needle profile from SU literature

Before you go changing needles, there can be an issue with jet sticking in these carbs

Its not easy to diagnose, but take a base reading with vernier tail, then verify they do move up and down, maybe tune it a bit richer ?

If you suspect a problem, the carb should be fully dismantled on the bench

It looks OK, Robert - but any difference with and without vacuum connected?

It’s just, like others, I’m a bit apprehensive about the different needles’ influence. What about float levels - and indeed whether mixture, CO, has actually been checked?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)