S2 motif bar installation

Hi all. Haven’t been here in quite a while but I need some advice/help. My S2 was purchased just a couple years ago and I am still learning about the car. It has a S3 grill that I assume the PO installed and I planned to change it. He had passed away so I have no history on the car. It drives me crazy but my wife liked it and wanted to leave it as is. I can’t have it that way any longer. I can acquire an S2 motif bar but can’t figure out how it is mounted to the bumpers. I don’t want to buy the new bar and find out I can’t install it without major modifications. I have been searching on line for several days and did come up with pictures of the back side of the bar. There are two oblong holes at the very ends and a square welded in lug with what appears as maybe a threaded hole in the center? Hopefully someone here understands what I’m trying to convey and maybe how the bar, bumper and overrider assemble to one another. Also, any issues I might have that I need to be wary of. Thanks in advance for all your help and understanding.

The bar goes over the end of the bumper then the over rider bolt goes thru them both into the over rider to hold it all together.

Trying to wrap my head around this and still confused. I can see how the bar could fit over the end of the bumper and bolt going through both and into the overrider to hold it all together. But what is the purpose of the welded tab in the back of the bar?

Russ, if your car is the “very late, very rare, very expensive” late sII, they come with the sIII chrome mouth and leapers on the side.
If so, don’t be like some idiot we know who took them off during initial painting because he thought they didn’t belong (he says, peeking around the corner hoping no one sees his embarrassment). But I later put th… I mean, he later put them back on.
Alternately, maybe yours has a sIII bonnet which can be identified by the flaired front wheel wells. Post a couple pictures .
LLoyd (I are just a rithmetician, ewe no)

I’m suspicious of people who don’t like dogs.
But I trust dogs who don’t like people.

Maybe this will help sort out the bolts, etc. for you.

Without dislodging mine from its wall perch, you can see the overlap with the overriders off. That’s where they bolt together.

I’ve seen the diagram that Richard has above that shows the individual components but does not give enough info regarding actual assembly. The photo shows how the bar overlays the bumper but I still am scratching my head about how the whole thing is bolted together with the overrider. (I must have some fog between my ears). Actually, I was beginning to wonder if I did in fact have an S3 bonnet. As I said, I got no history on the car. I’ll search my photos to see if I have one showing the front wheel wells. If not, I’ll pull the blankets off of her and wake her up. I also want to pull an overrider off and see what is hiding underneath. That may go a long way in clearing away the fog.
Can you tell anything from this photo? If not I will take a new picture showing the fender/wheel wells better.

My S2 has a plate between the captive nut on the motif bar and the bolt that goes through the bumper, motif bar and overrider. It’s kinda hard to see in this picture, but I hope you get the idea

I don’t see this on the parts list, but it seems to fit the various nuts etc.

John North
1969 S2 Coupe

Interesting photo. Clarifies a bit for me as well as your description of the assembly. The plate has me perplexed tho. I haven’t seen that on any of the online diagrams either. Here is my photo taken from what appears to be from the same vantage point as your photo. I would like to take the overrider off to get a better look at the actual mounting to the bumper but it is much too cold here in northern Michigan (still have 2” of snow left on the ground and unheated garage) and my poor old bones can’t take laying on my back right now! Spring will be here shortly and I can wait until then.

In addition, below is a better photo of the front wheel well if anyone can identify it as either an S2 or S3 bonnet. I have other photos from different angles if this one doesn’t show what is needed.

Russ

That bonnet is NOT from a Series III - no indication if any fender flare.
The fender flare is evident in this photo of my series III - the in-celling lighting helps accentuate the flare

Thanks Craig. That is what I was hoping for. I was afraid that I may have a S3 bonnet which may have made my change to the motif bar impossible. It appears now that I can proceed with buying the motif bar and swap it for the S3 grill. :star_struck: