S2 Parts cars in Victoria BC?

Hi All,

Last minute parts hunt before I take a ‘new to me’ 78 xj6 on a rally next weekend!

Anyone have a parts car in, or near, Victoria BC?

I am looking for the speedo drive unit for a BW65. To the best of my knowledge, this is the original trans for this car.

Problem: My speedometer does not work.
-I have removed the cable (through dash) and both ends look good with free rotation.
-The drive gear on the back of the speedo moves well in one direction and harder in the other, which I understand to be correct.
-I have removed the speedometer and driven the car a short distance. The cable does not spin while driving.

This leaves the drive unit on the transmission as a likely culprit.

Please note that this car has a counter under the hood and cruise control although neither of these work now and I am happy to live without them.

Kind regards,
Jordan

Doesn’t really address the issue directly but if you’re concerned with speeding, you could always use your GPS to give you the correct kms/hr, right? … the 40Km limit on Victoria streets could be a problem without something accurate I suppose, but with the gridlock in town maybe not a problem after all.

True!

I am more worried about tickets while on the rally. We will be in the interior with a group of old cars and may, or may not, engage in ‘spirited driving’ on the quieter roads. I find it comforting to have a quick reference for speed as I enter corners.

Also, having an odometer helps for the rally.

In practice, my codriver will have a rally app running and I will probably have google maps on my phone mounted on the tray.

Truthfully, it is the last item to have the car fully functional (other than AC) and I would love to have it working to show off.

Thanks for the thought,
Jordan

The AC isn’t a big deal if all the components are good. Gonna be hot on that run with no A/C though, was pretty warm today …I found GPS worked great last time I was on the Coq, fun to see 148 going uphill :grinning:

What about the angle drives, Jordan? The drive unit at the gearbox may have stripped gears - have you checked?

As an aside; it should be possible to change to an electronic speedo - swapping the cable drive to a transducer? Your cruise control is operated by a pick-up unit at the diff - broken connecting wires?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I’m pretty sure i have those parts in Ontario, but I doubt I could get them to you in time.

Rob

Well, I don’t know about ‘good’ but they are all there! The AC clutch is dead although the pump turns by hand. The expansion valve looks like it has been replaced and the hoses are recent. My plan is to re-seal the compressor, change the o-rings, flush the system, replace the dryer and then chase down any leaks. I have another HVAC thread that I will update as I progress.

The drive unit at the gearbox is the next (last?) piece of this puzzle as I have checked everything else. I assume it is dead so I will change that next.

If are willing to post them soon, I may get them this weekend and get them installed next week before I go?

Cheers,
Jordan

The S2 may have an external thermal fuse bolted to the compressor - and the fuse may have blown. The clutch should engage whenever the AC is turned ‘on’ - have you tried jumpwiring/checkeed power/ground to the clutch?

Another possibility is a faulty Ranco thermostat/wiring - which will disconnect the clutch. Or a faulty pressure switch, if that is fitted…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)