S3 engine back in

I’m staring down the barrel of putting this V12 motor and 4 speed gearbox back into the formerly auto box chassis. What ancillary parts are best installed on the engine/gearbox PRIOR to fitment? I assume the slave cylinder and all clutch hydraulic related stuff up to the upper master cylinder pipe junction. How about the starter? Exhaust manifold downpipes? New motor mounts on the engine side or chassis? Rear gearbox mount already attached?
Thanks in advance, I only want to do this once.

Jake, you have most of it already covered…Yep, starter and hydraulics will need to be installed. Header pipes can also be installed. Gearbox mount will be left off. Motor mounts are somewhat easy to get to as long as the fender shields are off (which I would suggest. Also make sure the rear stabilizer is in place. With the series 3, its much easier to fit everything since you can remove the front cross bar.

Jeff - I don’t think a Series III has one
Craig

Craig, you are correct, no rear stabilizer on the V12…been working on too many 6 cylinders lately…JS

I think I’d be changing some hoses ,water pump and a little detail work before installing much easier now IMHO

Assuming that engine turns, do yourself a huge favor and clean/detail/rebuild EVERYTHING necessary before putting it in, having access will make your life immeasurably easier. Even accessible things like carbs are easier, as is stuff in the valley like the gulp valve and air injection plumbing. Your air pump is likely frozen and the tubing rotted, many folks take that stuff off, impossible to get at with engine in. Have all the the engine mounts in place, fresh rubber is good and you may need spacers. Removing the steering rack helps it go in, alternator and ps pump off. Good luck, that looks like many hours of work.

The engine and auto box were removed a number of years ago in running condition to make way for a 5.7L FI done up by Forward Engineering in the UK and a 4 speed. I got both motors and 3 transmissions in the sale and both engines appear to be in good condition. I’m more inclined to reinstall the original carbed motor.
This is all good advice, I’ll be going through all of the hoses and motor ancillaries to make sure they’re in working order before installation.
The air pump spins fine, hoses were removed and seem OK. Alternator is seized, both it and the PS pump are already off the motor.

Even so – I would test the functionality of the starter now. A Series III starter is not the PITA to R&R as a Series I or II but it verges o simplistic with the engine in its current position

Do NOT assume this. Manually turn the engine slowly and easily with a breaker bar/appropriate socket on the crank. Move slowly and easily - you are looking to ensure no pistons/rings are stuck/seized. Also - now is the time to determine if a valve is stuck open so you’ll need to move slowly and easily.

Good advice, I got 3 starters so just need to ID the one to use.
The original motor does spin with a wrench, it went two revolutions without hinderance. I plan to pull the plugs in the near future and get some MMO down into the cylinders of both of these V12s. Since the carbs need to be rebuilt anyways, I’ll pull the cam covers and get some lube on the lobes in there as well. Is there a good way to get oil pressure into the system before cranking it over? I’d hate for things to start drier than they need to be. This motor has been sitting for a while and any oil probably drained away years ago. Probably just a film remaining if anything.

By any chance do you still have the original starter heat shield in place? If so, it’ll be an L-shaped asbestos-looking shield that will be attached with a circular clamp (it will/may still also have two p-clips securing it along its run) to what I believe is the tube connecting the air pump to the gulp valve. It’ll run parallel to and just above the top edge of the oil pan.
A quick happy-snap would be appreciated
Craig

I’ll take a look this evening and see what I find. I know one of the starters still has wiring on it inside a tube of some sorts.

Hi Craig,
I just re-read the description and didn’t see an L bracket heat shield but that doesnt mean it’s not in the boxes of stuff that came with the car. Ill keep an eye out. I think this is the starter with the tube i thought was in question.

I should have foregone the word description and simply added a photo I of it –

OK, I’ll dig through what’s in the boxes and see if that’s there. I’ll also be near a S3 parts car this next week, i’ll take a look for it there as well.

I couldn’t find it after a brief search but that doesn’t mean it’s not around. I’ll keep looking since I wasn’t able to find that pipe you show either. This one is an early '71, 1S 70XXX (Feb '71).

Mine came off a 72 Series III UC1S20XXX

Checked the parts car, not there. Sorry.

Thanks for checking – appreciate it.