S3 or S2 Power Steering Rack Mystery?

Had to remove my power steering rack from my RHD 1972 S3 to fix a leak. Subsequently I have discovered that it does not appear to be a an S3 rack as the pinion head is mounted at an angle, where as other S3’s appear to be at right angle to the rack tube.
Further investigation appears to indicate that this may well be an S2 power steering rack “POW A RAK”! If that is indeed the case, I’m puzzled as to what or how this was adapted to the S3, or whether there were S3’s that were factory fitted with these different racks?
Now I assume the S2 rack is narrower than the S3, so would longer tie rods have been fitted to accommodate the difference?
Any input into

solving this mystery would be great.
TIA.

Hello John,
The mounting plate at the Pinion Tower end of the Rack assembly is longer than both the S2 and S3 device. As the length of the S2 Rack Tube assembly is shorter than that of the S3, its logical that this bracket would be longer to achieve central operation of the shorter assembly, but as the mounting plate is different to both the S2 and S3, then it’s likely that the mounting plate attached to your Rack assembly is a custom made part.

I have S3 cars in my workshop ranging from one car that was built in the first few hundred cars, through to very late 1974 production and none are fitted with S2 Power Rack assemblies. I suspect that your car had the Power Rack damaged late in life, by which time, correct RHD, S3 Rack Assemblies became almost impossible to find and an available S2 assembly was cobbled in position as a replacement.

RHD S2 Power Rack assemblies are now hard to get, and I’ve made units from LHD XJ6 cars fit RHD S2 E Types; almost anything is possible.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for your response Bill,
One of our club members, oddly has the same rack for his S3!
Anyway, hope you’re progressing OK and we can catch up this week.
Chat soon.
Cheers;