[Saloon-lovers] Mk1 stuck starter spring update

Been mulling my options this week. Finally settled on an approach to getting the spring unjammed from behind my flywheel/clutch assembly…

1. Jacked up the right rear wheel.
  2. Securely blocked the other 3 wheels
  3. Put the car in 4th, let off the parking brake
  4. Wrapped a big long tow strap around the right rear wheel (think “strap wrench”)
  5. Hooked a tow chain to my garage floor anchor (out in front of the car)
  6. Put a come-along (hand winch) between the tow chain and tow strap

(things are wrapped such that application of the hand winch rotates the right rear wheel backwards)

1. wrapped another tow strap around the rear axle (left side) and secured it to my 4X4 truck, parked behind the car (keep the car from moving forwards)
  2. Put my big knock-off wrench on the left rear, and used it to apply rearward torque (~400 ft-lbs, needed to help keep wheel from slipping)

With everything in place…

1. Used the come-along to turn the right rear wheel backwards.

The idea of all this is to force turn the drive-shaft, transmission, clutch, and flywheel backwards… with a lot of slow force. Hopefully, we could force the spring back out the way it went in. It worked… sort of. We definitely moved the spring “up” and towards the starter hole. A lot more of it is now visible. It’s still stuck though. After some good success, and a couple of “pops” as the spring worked its way up, progress seemed to stall.

Finally, using the inspection camera,- we monitored the flywheel as we turned the wheel. It’s stopped moving. Took just a few moments to realize how/why: my clutch is now slipping again. I think my other idea: rolling the car backwards down the driveway, and then popping the clutch (with the car in 4th) would yield the same result. It would be more of an impulse; but this thing is really jammed.

So, now it looks like it’s time to separate my motor and bell-housing :frowning:

Ryan.

[Commercial use of subscribers e-mail addresses prohibited.]==============================
To remove yourself from this list, go to

// list policy dictates that messages be trimmed

Amazingly good effort, though.

Tom Carson
Juneau, Alaska
1954 XK120SE OTS, cream, chrome wires
1962 3.8 Mark 2, undergoing engine rebuild, 5-speed Supra gearbox conversion, power rack and pinion conversionOn Jan 22, 2012, at 5:09 PM, Ryan Border wrote:

Been mulling my options this week. Finally settled on an approach to getting the spring unjammed from behind my flywheel/clutch assembly…

1. Jacked up the right rear wheel.
  2. Securely blocked the other 3 wheels
  3. Put the car in 4th, let off the parking brake
  4. Wrapped a big long tow strap around the right rear wheel (think “strap wrench”)
  5. Hooked a tow chain to my garage floor anchor (out in front of the car)
  6. Put a come-along (hand winch) between the tow chain and tow strap

(things are wrapped such that application of the hand winch rotates the right rear wheel backwards)

1. wrapped another tow strap around the rear axle (left side) and secured it to my 4X4 truck, parked behind the car (keep the car from moving forwards)
  2. Put my big knock-off wrench on the left rear, and used it to apply rearward torque (~400 ft-lbs, needed to help keep wheel from slipping)

With everything in place…

1. Used the come-along to turn the right rear wheel backwards.

The idea of all this is to force turn the drive-shaft, transmission, clutch, and flywheel backwards… with a lot of slow force. Hopefully, we could force the spring back out the way it went in. It worked… sort of. We definitely moved the spring “up” and towards the starter hole. A lot more of it is now visible. It’s still stuck though. After some good success, and a couple of “pops” as the spring worked its way up, progress seemed to stall.

Finally, using the inspection camera,- we monitored the flywheel as we turned the wheel. It’s stopped moving. Took just a few moments to realize how/why: my clutch is now slipping again. I think my other idea: rolling the car backwards down the driveway, and then popping the clutch (with the car in 4th) would yield the same result. It would be more of an impulse; but this thing is really jammed.

So, now it looks like it’s time to separate my motor and bell-housing :frowning:

Ryan.

[Commercial use of subscribers e-mail addresses prohibited.]

In reply to a message from Ryan Border sent Sun 22 Jan 2012:

If the spring is visible,can’t You reach it with an acetyline torch?
A bit of heat would collapse it/cut it?
Dirk/Antwerp–
dirkvu
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

[Commercial use of subscribers e-mail addresses prohibited.]