Sanding the Leather Seats

Gentlemen:
I intend to start the recolorization process on the seats for the 73 XJ6 this week. I did this before and it worked quite well. I’m asking becuiase in some earlier posts, a member suggested that sanding is the preferred method of stripping off the current color, black I this case. The final color. Is a gold. The last time I did this, I think I used a petroleum distalate, which allowed me to basically wipe off the old color. It worked surprisingly well and was easy to use.

One problem I did I have was applying the new color. It showed some brush marks. I think that is cured by additional coats of paint rather than immediate rebrushing.

I would be interested to hear about anyone’s experience.

Regards

Lou

I used Leatherique products and followed their instructions:
http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_your_self_instruction/how_to_re-dye_leather.html

The working method itself can probably be used regardless of products.

My experience is not to use a brush for the color but to repeatedly press softly and gently. (if you do not spray on the paint) And to put on thin layers that are allowed to dry until you are satisfied. I found that a good way to add color was using sanitary napkins. My daughter left a whole box in the bathroom after she moved so it came into use. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pressing softly with a towel or napkin yields excellent results, especially if you can be PATIENT. I purchased my 1987 XJ6 20 years ago. From the day I purchased it, the PO acknowledged the series of black lines along the ‘door facing’ side of the squab on the drivers’ seat. I purchased a package from Leatherique of rejuvenator, prestine clean, and biscuit dye. Then I asked a local Jaguar dealer whose services they used for interior work. They came to my garage and prepped and sprayed the seats, but claimed the black lines on the seat squab would return, which they did. Then I noticed the door panels and center console were darker and browner than the seats. I called Leatherique and asked them for advice. They suggested using a clean white towel and the rubbing technique. It worked very well. Ever since then I’ve been annoyed by the constant recurring lines appearing on that seat squab. Several months ago I tried an experiment. I sanded the area on the squab where the lines kept recurring. Then, using a clean white towel, I applied some ‘leftover’ Leatherique which I still had in my tool locker for more than ten years, to which I added water and shook vigorously. Over the next seven days,during which I did not drive the car, I dabbed thin coats of dye on to the seat squab panel, allowing it to dry overnight, then returning the next day to apply another coat. It’s been four months now since I did this, and I’m pleased to report the car’s interior, and that seat in particular, look practically new.

1 Like