Sealer for manifold & valve covers

I need to know if gasket sealer is used when installing an intake manifold back onto a C block for a 1956 OTS. Also, if a sealer is used when reinstalling valve covers and breather cover for same car.

Thanks so much.

Al

There was never any sealer applied to the inlet manifold. And i am not aware of any need to now. Provided the faces are true and not unduly pitted the gasket ion its own is fine. I normally apply Vaseline on both sides of the gasket in an attempt to help when removing the manifold in the future as they can be very difficult to separate. The cam covers are subject to many preferences and can be found using the search function on this forum (you might also search the etype forum)
In my case having checked the cam covers are flat i just use Blue Hylomar on standard paper type gaskets. However beware there are many many different cam cover gaskets. With the associated quality differences.

Don’t know if it made any difference but on my 3.8 when replacing the intake manifold 20 years ago I used a thin smear of permatex 2 along the embossed ridges in the gasket. No leaks in 20 years but may not have leaked without it anyways.

The new inlet gasket is not metal like the old one but, heavy paper.

Thanks so very much for the info.

The new manifold gasket is no longer metal like the old ones, just heavy paper.

Thanks so very much.

I’ve always used Permatex No. 2 non-hardening sealant.

Thanks, I will get some today. I have to find out which side goes out on the new, non-metal intake manifold gasket.