Sealing a fuel pump in a series 1 3.8 etype

Do I need to use any sealant if I am using the 8 copper washers to install my fuel pump?

I used a thin film of hylomar blue on the cork gasket. Also be careful not to overtightened as it will distort the gasket and cause a leak.

Shouldn’t need sealant with copper washers. Shouldn’t leak if they’re new.

My suggestion is to use a little sealant on the cork gasket. And not tighten too much as the gasket can be oozed (compressed)and bulge out.
I always use a little permatex white thread sealant on the bolt threads and both sides of the copper washers. I then tighten them. The excess sealant stays liquid and can be wiped off. Wait 24 hours before filling tank as in that time the thread sealant will harden. You cannot retighten them if you have a problem, but instead you would need to take them off, clean old thread sealant off threads and copper washers and bolts, and redo.
I do this on my fuel tank sender bolts and washers and since then have had never smelt gas fumes in the trunk. If you like the idea, you might as well do it given that your fuel pump is out.

Dennis
69 OTS

Thanks, looks like a plan.

You need to knead the threadsealant in its tube very well to make sure it is mixed

It is not thread locker but thread sealant

Denny

The copper washers are new and they work, so thanks. Not sure if the fact that the fuel tank, the plate assembly and the gasket are also new had anything to do with it being a good seal.

1 Like

The copper washers are new and they work, so thanks. There was no need for any sealant. Not sure if the fact that the fuel tank, the plate assembly and the gasket are also new had anything to do with it being a good seal without using sealant.

1 Like

As a general rule.I avoid using any sort of sealant in the fuel system. Between gasoline and ethanol, you can end up dissolving sealants and making a big problem.

1 Like

I am glad I didn’t need sealant. I note however that SNG Barratt sells gas tank sealant on their gas tank etc. page in the parts and accessories manual.

There are sealants that are suitable for use in fuel systems. The problem is people often pick a sealant that isn’t compatible. That said, they are gas resistant, not gas proof. Use them sparingly.

An example of what can go wrong. A fishing buddy of mine used silicone sealant on the gas tank on his boat. We were out on Galveston Bay one night and the engine decided to not rev above a high idle. It took us forever to get back to the boat ramp. Turns out the silicone turned into a gooey gel that clogged the inlet screen of the outboard motor’s carb. It let just enough gasoline to let the engine idle.