Seat belt mounting opinions

67 OTS, has anyone tried this mounting set up?

Tough to tell but it looks like the upper swivel is on the traditional upper belt connection.
I looked at that and worried the belts would rub the interior and wear a mark when in use.
I moved the whole thing forward. No rubbing when in use. High grade bolts and giant washers on the backside.

My knowledge from back when I worked at Simpson Racing, retractor is mounted incorrectly. It needs to be in a straight line as in the picture from Brian.
Glenn

I have a roadster which is different over the wheel well so I cannot mount it as shown. I was wondering if anyone with a roadster has mounted retractable seatbelts that all working. Thanks guys

Charles, your 67 OTS should have a threaded should harness mounting hole further toward the center of the car on the horizontal deck area. Feel through the remains of your upholstery, or better yet, look up at the deck through the trunk. I have seen photos of retractable belts mounted using this hole, but they use a strap to drop the retractor down on the vertical part of the deck. I believe the factory did this for either late S2 and/or some S3. Part way through this link is a photo of a similar type installation. If you do a search you will find lots to read.

Tom

Late series II

Bill. Is it possible to get a pic of the lower mounting point with the seats leaned forward?

I have the top on now and it’s in the down position Which makes taking a photograph difficult. The lower bolt has a thin head and I chose to put the head on the boot side so it would not push out the Upholstery.
The number 20 on the blue tape represents the preload on the return spring.

Excellent. So if I understand correctly the horizontal part of the flat bar is bolted into the mounting boss on the parcel shelf and the vertical part is sandwiched between the rear bulkhead and the recoil housing with the bolt going through a hole that you drilled? Is there any problem with clearance for the hood mechanism when it is folded down?

Holes were existing so I didn’t have to drill anything. There’s no interference with the top mechanism. The strap that goes down does have a 90° bend at the very bottom so that the seat belt reel can’t rotate. Look in your boot, are there holes in the forward Bulkhead?

Ok. I will take screenshots of both your pictures and have a look next time I get out to my shop. One last question. Did you fabricate the flat bar or is it available preshaped from suppliers. I have been looking for some way to mount retractable 3 point belts. Is your installation the actual factory method? Ok 2 questions.

My car came set up that way. Not sure if it was factory or a retrofit by somebody. The holes in the boot do look cleanly punched so it might’ve been factory. My flat bar was originally plated and the plating was tired so I painted them with Aluma blast and then clearcoated.

Geoff,

here some pictures of the (late) S2 OTS belt points. These are the factory belts. The threads are in all the S2 cars. The straps came from Kangol.

Here are installing instructions from the original Kangol belt:

And here the instructions from Kangol, though not the exact set that went in to the OTS:

Perfect. Thanks Bill.

Thanks for the pictures and the instruction sheets Martin. I should have everything I need now to set things up.

Why can’t the retractable part just be mounted without the secondary mound and have the seat belt come directly adult the retractor directly over the shoulder?

I think there are hood frame clearance issues with an OTS in this configuration.

How about here. I was also just wondering about the concept of eliminating that 2nd mounting piece

It probably depends on if the reel cares about orientation. Sit in the seat and see if you like it. I suspect it would work.

Charles, did you consider having the reels in the boot?
Some, me included, have done this successfully.
Have a look here:
http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5041

1 Like