Seatbelt add 1 serie 2.8 '69

Hi all,

can you help me to find best way for front and rear seatbelt?

on rear i would have best system for my 3 years son.

have you already add?

xj6 1 s 2.8 '69

Welcome to J-L, Fred.

I’m not sure where you are located, but here in the US seatbelts were required on all 1969 cars. We had only 4.2 liter versions, but I think the seating is the same.

For front seats, inertial reels were mounted onto the inner sill in the rear footwell just behind the front seat when moved fully rearward. A nut welded into the upper B pillar provided capture for the shoulder belt, and a “female” end was attached to a nut welded into the floor. This provided the standard 3-point front belts. For later (series 3) cars, the inertial reel was mounted inside the lower B pillar (I have modified my 73 for this kind of mount, as it allows provision for more rearward movement of the seat.

Rear seats had plain lap belts for series 1 (3 sets). There were inertial reels mounted next to the seat, with a cutout in the seatback on each side to accommodate them. If you lack these cutouts, I would suggest series 3 rear belts. The inertial reels are mounted on the package shelf above the seats. If your shelf is attached with two chrome 7/16 inch bolts, the reels mount with those same bolts. Tapped holes for the other belt ends are behind the seat cushion. In all series, the centre rear belt is lap only.

Because Series 1 cars (at least starting by 1971) had the strange feature of two large 7/16 fine thread bolts attaching the thin vinyl-trimmed package shelf trim to the underlying metal, I have always assumed that inertial reel 3-point belts were part of the original design–perhaps required in some particular market. When not used, Jaguar simply inserted a seat belt bolt into each hole–cleverly mounting the shelf trim at the same time. So, although my cars had all of the other required tapped holes, I would not be surprised if your car, even though lacking seat belts, also has the required tapped holes.

2 Likes

Dear,
thank’you.

In italy , since 1976!

it’s easy for you send me a photo about your lower pillar work?

already love this forum, thank’you!

1 Like

Fede,

all SI cars are prepared for five Seat belts. You can source good parts from a SIII car - which are typically well over 30 years - and just bolt in. I did it for my son on the rear bench.

The front seats are a bit more complicated as early SI cars came with static belts and no winder on the bottom a-pillar. If you want automatic belts for the front seats, find SII belts and a-pillar covers.

Good luck

Jochen

XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

My 73 came with a winder on the inner sill behind the B-pillar. I think my 71 was the same but can’t be sure. The winder located within the B-pillar was in series 3 cars, but I don’t know when it began. It’s not easy to retrofit the in-pillar winder although I’ve done it as has @Roger_Mabry. Can’t show a photo without removing the seat and the B-pillar trim.

I put my front seat belts in the pillar per Robert, on both the '72 and '71 XJ. Get the later pillar covers to use since the exit hole is different and it has the needed seat belt guide pieces.

Also, I put in the rear S3 belts that include the lap and shoulder belts for all people in the rear seat… that is just a bolt in installation.

Wow, nice photo documentation as usual, Roger. You mean two rear seat people? Center position is plain lap belt? Or did you fit a third reel?

No rear shoulder belt for the middle person, just a lap belt… sorry… I just took the pictures on my cars after you told me about the great mod. Adding the features from the S2/S3 that make my
S1 better is my goal… the later front door arm rests helped a lot, the XJS powered mirrors and now the S# steering rack and lower steering column. Do not forget the XJ 40 wheels all around!!

thank you all for your great answers and works