Series 1 - Dash Speaker Replacement

Hi Jag-Lovers,

Having done some research there seems to be several classic car speaker providers but I haven’t been able to find a speaker that will slot in to a Series 1 dash, as per the attached image.

Has anyone had any luck in the past? I am preferably looking for a dual voice coil (DVC) speaker but at this stage would be delighted to find anything that fits!

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ed

Keep looking, Ed - the internet will provide…

Modern speakers are ‘better’ than of yore - even smaller one will do, and some tasteful infilling may not look too out of place…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks Frank.

It actually has a speaker cover on top so it will not be seen at all. Not after anything to special, really just want to be able to listen to the cricket on the radio. I had hoped that I would be able to find something that would slot right in but could certainly try making up a bracket for a smaller speaker.

The search continues.

Cheers,

Ed

Try Crutchfield.com here in the US. They seem to have the correct speakers for every application. Eighteen tears ago I wanted to replace the four door mounted speakers for our series 3 XJ6. They had a modern Infinity two way speaker which fit exactly into the door panel with no modifications required whatsoever. They even sent a photo of a series 3 interior with installation instructions. They still sound great…

I had never seen this speaker opening before. It was sealed off on both my 71 and 73 S1s, although the grill remained. I opened mine so that intake air to the AC/heater could come from the interior instead of behind the fascia–and I hoped with less restriction.

The US cars all had door speakers instead of one fitted into the dashpad.

I just looked in the parts manual…no mention of the fascia pad-mounted speaker, but part numbers for two varieties of front and rear door-mounted ones.

One thing you can do is make a thin panel out of aluminum, plastic, or Baltic Birch plywood that attaches to the two Tinnerman nuts visible in your photo. Then find a pair of the largest round speakers that will fit side-by-side in the opening (and of the highest quality), cut holes in your panel and mount them to it.

Thank you all. Certainly lots to consider!

Cheers,

Ed.