Series 1 furflex and doorseal thoughts

Yes David,

I’ve been thinking the same direction, but am unsure about the kind of colour it takes to dye furflex …

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 Auto (UK spec)

Carpet dye?

There must be carpet repair people you can talk to. Furflex will probably be plastic fiber so just try something on a length and see how it looks and lasts…

You could try to soften up the door rubbers with a magical stuff Volkswagen uses to seal their EOS convertible roof rubbers.

They call it “Krytox” and it actually works pretty well in softening and “puffing up” old rubber seals.
It’s available here, for example: KRYTOX ON AMAZON

Interesting info Patric.
My door seals are also hard and problematic.

And it gave me an idea…
I wonder if brake fluid could have the same result?
I might experiment in a spare piece and see.

I would be interested to know if its possible to recover old seals but in other engineering applications its just accepted that rubber hardens with age and heat / cold cycles.

I just bit the bullet and replaced them all when I did furflex. Fairly easy fit and then test with a 10 pound/dollar/euro note to see if any loose spots. Had to shim a couple of areas out with some closed cell sticky foam but definite wind noise reduction.

Dont recall cost but that must mean they were not too shockingly expensive.

I wouldn’t do that Aristides,

Brake fluid kills almost anything…
If you google GPL105 (that’s the Krytox formula), you can get a bottle of 30ml for around 25 euro. It will last you a lifetime…

Verzonden vanaf mijn Galaxy

-------- Oorspronkelijk bericht --------

1 Like

Yes Patrick… After I left I thought the same… not a great idea indeed.
Thanks for the GPL105 tip. I might give it try.

Did you manage to get your wind noise down?

I just found the source of mine:

The window channel corner leaves a large gap where wind whistles through. The seal must have shrunk. When I put my finger onto the area the noise changes.

Second step was to put an ozone machine in the car, close everything and then I walked around and sniffed. This was the one spot where I could smell the ozone; all other areas on the car seem to be reasonably airtight.

I‘m not sure how to fix it yet, buy a new seal eventually but in the meantime I might want to get creative. Maybe I can stretch it back? And I thought it was the NDV seal!

Yes did all the rubber seals and the rubber wiper seal on outside and fur seals inside and on sides. Still got wind noise but much reduced and i think for a car with quarter lights there will always be more than a modern

My other classic of the same vintage is much noisier and I recently had a ride in an XJC12 reputedly one of the best in the country which was noisier as well

So thats probably close to as good as it gets.

I tried RTV in my little gap (long trip coming up, worth a try) and it’s silent now -

so silent that I can hear the NDV leaking. I don’t need perfection but I guess I‘ll keep at it. I‘ll do my ozone method again.
It’s a silent car as it is.

The XJC is notorious for wind noise, much more difficult to seal I guess.