Series 1 Roadster and sun visors

I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t know the answer to this question. When I purchased my car, I never realized that it didn’t a set of sun visors nor the brackets used to hold them. I never noticed until about a week ago when I was driving my car and wanted to use something to block the direct sun. I honestly didn’t know if these cars were originally delivered with them or not. I know the coupes were, but when I look online, I find numerous roadsters that seem to also be missing this feature. Is it common?

I called up SNG Barratt and they sold me a set of brackets, hardware and visors after enlightening me that they did indeed come from the factory. Now, I’m interested in seeing how they look installed.

There pix are from my Series 2 but may be useful:

Mine didn’t come with visors. It does give a cleaner look without them. But if they help with the wind, I would consider adding them. Do they do anything for wind when they are in the up position? It seems like they would since they are above the window frame when up all the way.

What was your total cost for all the parts?

The brackets cost $122, hardware $4 and sunvisors $108 for both.

I guess a lot of cars leave them off.

Wouldn’t there be a points deduction in judging?

I could be wrong but don’t think they were on all cars, seen to many without them. The early ones were also slightly different than the later ones which had a cut out for the rear view mirrors.
http://xke.collectordata.com/gallery/zoom/?id=50875
pauls

No, I don’t see much reduction in wind buffeting when they are flipped up above the windscreen. The best upgrade to reduce the buffeting is to install one of Dave Kerr’s wind deflectors. Ray L.'s Blowviator is another model of the product, but I don’t believe that he makes them any more. The visors are of some benefit in blocking the sun, but they do restrict the view of the road ahead when they are fully down.

Mine doesn’t have them. No idea if it did originally or not. They may have been options. If you’re over 5, 10 or so and your head is anywhere near the top of the screen I can’t see them being of much use, and could possibly be detrimental to visibility. There isn’t a lot of screen real estate to spare. I prefer a good pair of wide polarized sunglasses personally.

1 Like

The early S1 OTS didn’t have visors, only the FHCs had them.
I recently found the Amco visor that I got from VB Haan back in the day. I cleaned it up & put it on. I like it and the tinted plastic doesn’t block the view.

Ed,

Do you mean all 3.8’s came sans visors? Does anyone know if points are removed if a roadster is missing them in concourse judging?

Brian

I’m more curious if different pillar caps are used with visor rods, on OTS cars. My original caps and my reproduction caps screw directly to the pillars on the sides. In order to tuck on of those rod brackets under the cap it would result in having to cant the cap slightly to the side.

Would be nice to have a set of those Amcos, but cut to be the same size as the factory sun visors and designed to use the same factory brackets. That would be the ticket!

Sun visors first appeared on OTS models at 1E1489/90 and 1E12687/8 about Sept 1966. These were 4.2l cars.

Back in 1968 when we move to NZ my eldest brother bought over a 1937 Aston Martin (2.0 litre interim model, only 50 made)
The windscreen on that car was about 9” tall. To get the car to pass it’s warrant of fitness they required the car to have sun visors. He ended up fabricating a purple Perspex item, they were happy with that and the car was allowed on the roads.

1 Like

Wow, so no 3.8 cars? That actually makes a ton of sense. My friend has a '66 and has visors. I guess I’ll have to return them.

Nah - if you like them use them.

1 Like

Terry’s comments match the entry in the Series I Judging Guide

SUN VISORS
FHC - ALL (J30 Pg. 240 & J37 Pg. 217) – Note: Vanity mirror added on passenger side at: 1E31788 1E20939 (SB P.157)

OTS - added at: 1E12688 1E 1490 (SB P.178)

1 Like

Brian, This information has been available since 2003 in the JCNA E-Type Series One Judging Guide available as a download on the JCNA website.

Now, THERE’S a referent you rarely see anymore!

I’m thinking about making a pair of wind wings for the side windows. I just need to work out how to attach them so that they are easy to install and remove and require no drilling.

I’m thinking about making a pair of wind wings for the side windows. I just need to work out how to attach them so that they are easy to install and remove and require no drilling.

I’d be very interested in wind wings. I drove a Cobra replica, and the wind wings seemed to make it much more hospitable in the cabin at high speeds.

I believe they make clamp on versions for the Cobras, so maybe something can be adapted.

Update: Maybe these parts can be adapted:
https://www.brattons.com/catalog/wind-wings.html