Series 1 XJ6 Front Vent window removal (Solved/Method)

Hello

I have searched past posts yet don’t quite get it.

the pivot has broken on the little front vent window, and I have a replacement available.

Attempting to remove, I have removed top of the door panel, opened it up a bit below too.

Removed the 2 little screws at the top (12602, 12603) center of vent window to free that up.
Of course removed knob, 2 small securing bolts on that mechanism on the door panel just below, and it seems it should be able to be pulled up and out as per image within parts catalog (see below) as the pivot seems to extend to a flat rod within that mechanism.

Is it necessary to pull out that entire window rail upwards to access/remove?

What am I not seeing? Please explain.
Thank you!

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/catalogue/xj6-ser-1/body/#p=22

$8.95…

Even with all the fasteners removed you will likely find it is held in place by black mastic type material which has been used to seal the assembly to the door structure… Oh, you didn’t mention the outside weatherstrip removal & fully dropping the main door glass which I think is also a requirement.

Good luck It’s a horrible job!

Mike.

all good points, I did a 420G one recently and it wasnt to bad, except you needed to follow the FSM closely, take digipics of each “operation”.

As Mike says, the window may need to be rolled up & down at various stages, which the manual doesnt make 100% clear. In addition, afaic, I removed another piece. It comes apart and goes together like a jigsaw puzzle (hence the pics)…parts need to be “angled” the right way to R&R

I would recommend Copperslip the weatherstrip screws, and/or replace them, while you are in there

That’s an understatement. I think I slightly spread apart the slot in the top of the door using some sort of a device, in addition to the careful “angling.” Truly a PIA job. Not mentioned here, but slightly worse, is replacing the rubber seal once you have the casting on the bench.

Right.Brilliant.

Let’s close the site and post a reference to everyone to simply refer to their manual.
90% of questions would be resolved with that logic.

And the descriptions such as this are so useful often times as you know within them.
“Remove the 2 pan headed screws and remove the gearbox” … how?!

Even deciphering this, how does one even get their hand in there to remove said “gearbox”?!
Man I’ve worked on jaguars, and appreciate having to do occasional procedures by sense of touch, but I cannot recall even the ability to contortion my arm to reach up in there, otherwise I would have done so…I’ll look again.

…much less how the “gearbox”: would be removed…it simply states “remove it” in typical auto manual fashion.

Does it simply pull down and off as the pivot for the vent window is apparently flat at the end like a butter knife? Dunno…just says remove it.

I don’t want another broken pivot/window here…

…and what’s an NDV?

I already own 2 manuals, the large, original red S1 XJ6 manual and the Haynes for the S1 XJ6 series…neither of which mention the vent window.

So thanks, but no thanks…don’t need to purchase another manual for removal of the vent window, hence why there are forums such as this. Especially when I have a parts manual and still cannot figure it out.
Forums, sigh…nothing’s changed. All private little clubs between a handful of good ole boys (for the most part).

@MikeB : Yep, I’ve noticed that, thank you. Gooey stuff, but nothing I recall particularly revealed afterwards.
Ah, removing exterior door/window trim too? Ah, never thought that would be necessary. Yep, I’ve read that glass must be dropped all the way down for that…gotcha. Thanks

Will go out there again and see what I see. I hate operations like this that should be so simple, yet become so difficult. zzzzzzzzz
Regards

Holy smoke mate, I went to the trouble to post an excerpt from the Factory Manual which describes how to remove the NDV ( no draft ventilator), which you say IS NOT in your manual.

new advice…using your eyes, hands and tools…remove the needed parts, once you are done, put them back where they came from.

Brilliant “mate” …

Right, went to the trouble to post an excerpt to be sarcastic, just as your reply here.

Would you have referred me elsewhere to learn what an NDV is? No. Does the excerpt explain anything? No.
Anyway, I won’t repeat myself.

Your “new advice” certainly is sarcasm, rude, and pointless…
If you have nothing useful to add…don’t.
Keep your sarcasm and “advice”, or just go away.

As to the matter at hand, I am attaching the process of correct removal below separately from this claptrap to help others in the future. Why I am bothering to I have no idea.

It is NOT necessary to remove the window frame, lower the window, remove seals, etc etc

No, I did that to help

As to the sarcasm in my new advice, you are correct, my bad, my apologies

please by all means post all info, that indeed is what this most excellent forum is for

1 Like

If you have large hammy hands, this may not work for you.
I have large hands and was able to manage fine.

Hopefully you can sort out the images attached.

1. Remove door panel. It is held mostly by push clips, removable with either a large flat screwdriver (preferably wrapped in duct tape so not to scratch), or flat pry bar, etc. BE careful as you may tear the fiberboard backing.

The armrest top (Where the arm rests) is held to the door using 2 anchors. Just punch the bottom of armrest up to dislodge it and door panel. Note there are philips screws below affixing it to door too which must be first removed (at least on mine).

These sorts of things, as you know, one must be a bit patient with as there is ALWAYS some hidden clip or screw somewhere and you will end up tearing something.

1. Remove the door handle latch, interior side. 2 large philips head screws. Remove clip attaching actuator bar to detach the bar and allow handle to flop forward.

2. remove 2 little bolts holding the vent window mechanism just up to the right. The leg of the window will keep it firmly in place with screws removed. Spray all with penetrant.

3. Before proceeding, I recommend wrapping your left wrist about 4 times with duct tape as the metal irritates.

Reach in and pull the mechanism down and through the door handle hole.

(This first image is with the vent mechanism (“gearbox”) simply set atop the door handle hole for the photo)

1 Like
  1. Using a 7/16 box end wrench I was able to reach in and loosen the pinch clip holding the vent window leg in place. BUT…

the nut is attached to a flat head screw, which you can’t reach…of course…facing towards the interior of door panel.

Although I would typically never do this as a purist (I don’t like short cuts either), but it was in tune with the door panel itself anyway, didn’t look at all out of place, and actually would have been clever if they did it from the factory.
It certainly would save the ENTIRE procedure of removing the window frame, etc for heaven’s sake?!

I drilled a large hole to fit a flat head screw driver from the outside, held with my right hand, and used the box end 7/16 wrench on the inside with my left hand and was able to patiently remove the bolt within the door…didn’t take long, no trouble at all.

I slipped my phone inside and made a photo from within showing from below the bolt going through the clip which wraps around, pinching, the vent window leg/arm/spade thing. Something the parts manuals will NOT show you.
Gotta love technology sometimes. That was helpful. I was able to see exactly what I was dealing with.

NOTE: The hole should actually be a bit higher at the door edge, and up to the right, about 1 o’clock from where I drilled. And of course you begin with a small bit and increase size.

I added a Red Circle within one of images below to show where it should really be.

I was able to angle/wedge a flat head in there to catch the slot enough to loosen bolt within where I drilled thankfully. There is no way I would drill another hole, that would ruin it and become a botch job. No way, no how.
My space perception is apparently not as accurate as I thought.

1 Like
  1. Once bolt and nut are removed (gingerly in typical Jaguar maintenance fashion) with left hand within the door, all that remains is the clip.

2. With your strong fingers separate it and pull it down and off.

3. The vent window is now free to pull up and out.

(Of course after removing 2 little pivot screws at the chrome rail above. Hopefully you don’t have rivets, which per parts book, is possible. If so? I’d drill them out and replace with little sheet metal screws anyway.)
Again, for reference:
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/catalogue/xj6-ser-1/body/#p=22

Note it was not necessary to destroy or disturb vent rubber seal I learned. I just had no idea what I was dealing with here.

1. “Assembly is reverse of removal.”

Regards

How do you “un-drill” the hole?:roll_eyes:
phillip

2 Likes

I wanted to replace just the rubber on the quarter light. I think I’m going have to try again another time.

I went through it today, mine has the hinge riveted in place so no way to do this in car.
The window must be wound down all the way past where the stop is; I was careful but it’s safe to do.

There’s no shortcut either but I was expecting it to be much worse than it ended up being.

Had to remove the frame and drilled out the rivets where they’re hidden. I hope the pop rivets will last, it could also be done with bolts or stronger rivets.
The worst part is actually fitting the new seal. I hope I could improve something.

I was very grateful for the pictures here.