Series 1 XJ6 Race Car?

While I have never been interested in models before, I typed in a search out of curiosity and came across this.

Is there a history of such a car or is it only a gimmick?
Typically these models are made after historic cars which is why I ask.
Goodwood? Never seen…

Merely curious.
TIA for any info.

Paul,

this is very interesting - for track circuits you’d expect at least removed bumpers and racing tires,
grafik
grafik
for rallye sports you’d expect additional fog or driving lights. The “Xtreme Jaguar” logo rather seems to be adapted from modern interpretations of the Jaguar icon (cf. the second pic). Maybe more people are retro-racing series Jaguars today than in their period.

2003 Paris - Dakar, it seems.

I found this ad for a car that was raced in the 2006 JEC series and that claims that a Corgi made a replica model following their car http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/jaguar_xj_racing.htm

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

they did have a (private) XJ Racing series in Australia, around maybe 15yrs ago.

You would occassionaly see them for sale, up until a few years ago,

they had a 4 point harness fitted, and always lightened

some engine mods were permitted

Perhaps some of our other Australian contributors may know more about it, would be interested to hear ?

1 Like

Dear Jochen

Thank you very much for that…haha.

Understood.

Never seen those images before.

The rally car is something extraordinary! Haha…

Kind regards
Paul

NZ ran a series for he Xjs quite a few years ago. One of our club members races one regularly, quite modified with about 350HP;

He now has a 7litre XJ12 and a Lloyd a bit diverse :slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually have that model up on my shelf, and a three pack of other racing S1 XJs! No idea about the first one, but pretty sure the three-pack is in relation to the JEC racing series in the UK. I’ve included the drivers names as listed on the box.

1 Like

Lots of Series XJ, XJ40 & X300 & XJS racing in UK during summer. Several pages in every issue of monthly JEC magazine. Of course it helps thst no track is more than a day away and most within 2-3 hours…

1 Like

Nick,

your three pack is the the model of the race car I found on the net - link above.

Yet, all racing series we find in the UK or down under seem to confirm that while there was ample use post 1990 there was no significant use of series Jaguars in rallye or track racing in their original days, i.e. late 1960s, early 1970s. But still, I may fall victim to uneven distribution of documentation available on the internet. My small book on the Jaguar sedans written by Chris Harvey has a full chapter on racing from Mk VII to Mk2, but nothing on the “modern” series Jags.

Still curious

Jochen

1 Like

There was a major BL effort with the Broadspeed XJ12C

That’s right, of course - but may only have kicked in after 1975. Was there any Jaguar support of touring car racing between the Coombs Mk 2 and Broadspeed Coupés?

In Germany the 1960s, 70s and early 80s were the golden era of rallye sports, hillclimbs and touring car racing on circuits. Jaguar seems to have supported some private drivers, in particular Peter Lindner who won the Touring Car Championship race at the Nurburgring twice in a Mk2 and died in 1964 in his lightweight E-type in Montlhéry due to a broken rim - together with four others that he crashed into. It seems that after the glory days of the Mk2 Jaguar abandoned racing for a long time.

Best

Jochen

1 Like

Are you sayingthat Peter Linder’s crash killed 4 others? I’ve never read that before - which is terrible really when you think about it. Even if our focus would be on the Jaguar driver, I would expect the rest of the tragedy to be mentioned!

Those are something Nick.
Thanks for posting them.
@Jochen_Glockner : Great info. Thanks for that.

Kind regards

I’ve never seen any XJ raced in period, bar the Broadspeed XJ12C. This, I believe, is primarily due to Jaguar pulling out of all racing after the 1955 Le Mans disaster. After 1955 they had no official racing programme (until they returned to Le Mans around 40 years later?), but more or less officially supported private efforts, such as Broadspeed.

Given the market the XJ was aiming for in 1968 and onwards though, was there any appropriate racing series for a heavy (then, not so much compared to modern cars) luxury saloon?

More on the 1955 Le mans disaster:

1 Like

Odd to see the film reversed with the writing back to front. Maybe my iPhone is positive earth?

Ok, so I got one (model). First model I can ever remember buying.
Hey, it’s the same color as mine, black!

And I don’t believe they really “pulled out” of racing after '55, there is the XJ13 development, and they did support others indirectly, but they just had bigger fish to fry at the time methinks.
Of course you have the LeMans and IMSA cars of the 80s-90s, and later F1 (not so successful) however perhaps you are only referring to earlier times.

Funny, having recently returned upon living abroad nearly 20yrs, looking through items packaged away…sigh…what a life…

One model found, an XK8 which I was excited about at its release.
That and the S type I really liked at their release, especially as a former Mk2 owner as a kid.

Original articles, and magazines at time of release, etc. How they were hailed at the time.
Now being given away, the S Type a bit scorned and even unpopular.

Goodness, old Hemmings magazines (you may be unfamiliar being abroad) with E Types in great, even restored condition, for $20k…
But I digress…

Anyway, discovered a few models I forgot I had! Photographs, books, etc.

How these damn cars have been such a part of my life.

Anyway, take care and thanks for all the info.

None of those three you have found online. Must be rarities.

Have a good day/evening.

PS: I mean really…$5600USD
The model I found within my boxes is this car/color as well.
Madness. Despite being not the ideal year to get, crazy.
Pity the hood ornament. Nitwits. What are these people thinking?!
So it goes…

1 Like

I think Lyons’ Problems with racing played a role too. With his son dead and the Le Mans disaster (Officially, I think, the race was supposed to go on so there would be no logistics chaos, everybody leaving, probably in panic, whilst the cleanup was still taking place - Mercedes did the morally correct thing of pulling out, but the race continued for good reason) there was no desire to go to the races. And the XJ13 was hidden away. Before this, Jaguar was careful to start with private drivers first so a failure wouldn’t hurt the marque as much. Also, racing was of course expensive. The broadspeed was a failure, good, but with Leyland quality. I had the chance to sit in it and it sure is a beast though, and who would have known what could’ve been.

David

Indeed Pete,

the report I came across https://www.zwischengas.com/de/HR/rennfahrerberichte/Born-To-Be-Wild-Ueber-die-Jaguar-Legende-Peter-Lindner-seinen-Partner-Peter-Noecker-und-das-Kennzeichen-WI-PL-1-.html cites eye witnesses reporting that Lindner’s Jaguar basically flew sideways at the end of the pit stop lane, rotated several times before crashing into Franco Patria’s Abarh 2000 waiting for the clearance to exit. Patria and three race marshals supervising the exit of the pit stop lane were killed on the spot; Lindner died on the way to the hospital. The broken rim was later confirmed as the cause of the accident. It goes without saying that every person lost deserves the same respect and grievance - the only reason I mentioned Lindner personally was that I knew that he was a kind of ambassador of Jaguar’s racing aspirations in Germany and a very renowned sports person at the time.

Those years took a terrible toll in drivers and innocent passengers or bystanders - on the roads and on the tracks. Germany saw a general speed limit of 50 kph with urbanized zones in 1957, after casualties had topped 12000, and a general speed limit of 100 kph outside urbanized zones in 1973 after over 21.000 had lost their lives in traffic accicents in 1971 in Western Germany alone - today we mourn approx. 3.000 victims a year for reunited Germany with an exploded mileage of traffic.

So yes, maybe Jaguar in general and Sir William in particular after the loss of his son felt it was time to move on from pace and the hallmark Jaguars SS 100, XK 120 and E-type to grace and luxury.

Anyway, I envy you for your D-type:-)

Best

Jochen

I can relate, and even after 35 years gone from the intensity of my car career, automobiles/bilia still exert a tug on my petrol-suffused psyche.

1 Like

Watching the old films, I am astonished that more didn’t die, than did.

Thank you, Sir Jackie, for being one of the first of the greats to fight for better safety.

1 Like