Series 2 E-Type Fuel Tank Vents

I’m carrying out a running resto on my 1970 Series 2 E-type. The car drives really well, is road legal but is a bit “scruffy” and in need of a few small (???) “running repairs”.
It was imported new into Australia in 1970 and is therefore a UK spec . It has the multiple vent system from the fuel tank, but rather than the complete system ( as, I believe, used on the USA and other market vehicles) it has 3 "vent " pipes going into the catch tank in the bodywork by the rear wheel well, but the 4th pipe , instead of going into a carbon canister, just vents to atmosphere via a tubed opening in the spare wheel well. I believe this was Jaguars solution where carbon filtering wasn’t required in the destination market, but used the fabrication intended for the US market.
Question therefore: The fumes from this system invade the car no matter what I do to fix it.
Has anyone had experience of ( for example) blocking off the vents and reverting to the previous solution of a sealed tank but with a vent to the filling pipe. The local laws don’t prohibit the earlier Jaguar system , so I am proposing to modify accordingly and get rid of both catch tank and 3 or 4 “unecessary” vent pipes.

Thanks in advance

David
Sydney Australia

Hi David,

When I replaced my Series 1.5 tank last year with a new tank from SNG it was a Series 2 tank, I took it to my radiator shop and had them close the extra vent fitting and install the correct size tube for the vent up into the neck of the filler. Is this something you could do?
Cheers,
LLynn

David;
Are you sure the ‘fumes’ are from the open vent tube, I mention this because many have posted on the J-L list because of the fumes.
Most have found the trouble surrounding the ‘pickup plate’ and it’s sealing. Another possibility could be a ‘small’ leak from the tank.
At the very least you could put a ‘blind cap’ (rubber) over the end of your open vent tube as a trial. You would have to make sure the gas cap (the fill pipe) was vented or else a vacuum would be created in the tank as you ran the car.

Regards, Joel.

I dealt with this when I converted to a triple SU setup. I eliminated all of it. Bought a vented cap off of eBay. Done deal, works fine.

Dave im just installing a new tank into my US spec 2+2 (have changed it to RHD). and am reverting to the earlier venting system.IE Closing all vent pipes and bypassing catc h tank and venting through fuel cap.This does away with heaps of unnecessary plumbing in the engine bay including the cannister which would have to lead to easier carb tuning (im fitted with strombergs).I will only have clean air and fuel to mix

The vented cap will do it…

I did some research on this some time ago and concluded that the UK spec 1970 &1971 S2 cars were fitted with the expansion tank which was hooked up to the fuel tank with the three hoses. The fourth hose, which on N.A. spec cars goes to the carbon canister, is left tucked in front of the tank. The hole and fitting for the plumbing to the carbon canister was not fitted. For both spec cars the gas cap was non-vented and there was no overflow tube from the neck of the filler tube.

Richard Liggitt

This is true for my late 69 as well. There is a small tank in the the rear quarter connected with an overflow hose, and a vent hose if I remember correctly. I left all that intact when I converted to triple SU, I eliminated the charcoal can on the subframe, and left the hose open below the the servo. I still added a vented cap.

Many thanks to all who responded to my questions.

I can confirm that my car has the catch tank, but nowhere for the redundant “canister hose” to go, and has no vent pipe connection in the upper part of the filler pipe - ie standard UK specs. It has a period locking filler cap so I’m not sure whether that is vented or not as there is no obvious vent hole.

From the feedback I got it seems the majority opinion is to completely disable the catch tank and all its connections and simply fit a vented filler cap. This certainly seems to get rid of the complexity of the catch tank etc.

However, if that is the case, will there be a problem from surge when filling the tank, as there will be no internal vent ( ie the pipe from the top of the tank to the top of the filler pipe ) as fitted on pre 1969 models to avoid this surge .

Thanks and regards

David

Just use a vented cap if you go that route.
Ive had both.
You save around 450 lbs by removing it all as well!
gtjoey1314