Series 3 automatic rear engine mount

Hi

an trying to refit the rear engine mount on a v12 with automatic transmission and am lost. Cannot figure out the exact set up of washers, collar etc. If do mount as flw (starting from top) :

1. buffer plate
  2. bolt locating gearbox
  3. washer
  4. rubber bush
  5. distance collar
  6. stepped washer

and try to compress with a gearbox jack do not get enough thread out of the mounting bracket to fit washer and bolt (Rubber bush touches) which lead me to believe that the bolt locating gearbox does not have to be fully threaded in. Does anyone have some info (maybe a pic) of the correct set-up ? Incidentally the shop manual reports that on the auto trans there are two washers i.o. one. but is not very helpful on where the additional one is suppose to go.

Many tks
Best
Gianni

Morning Gianni,
These are the notes I made of the installation of the manual transmission in my '73 when I replaced the automatic with the 4 speed. The second picture reflects what I actually did. Hope this doesn’t add to the confusion.
Cheers,
LLynn

Many tks Lynn, very kind of you. So if understand correctly the first drawing refers to the mount as it was found on auto trans ? If so very different from the pieces have found on my car (although it was already been disturbed by someone else before me).

Hi Gianni,
I had the same problem on my 71 S3 auto last year - the mount had been incorrectly assembled by others. As you say the workshop manual is unhelpful and as I found, the parts manual is not much better, with a poorly presented diagram and part numbers transposed. One of the key points is that the washer with the radiused outer edge should sit sandwiched between the two metal sleeves where, as the spring extends and compresses, it then acts as a damper within the “rubber” bush (orange in my pictures) which sits in the bottom plate. These pictures show how I have assembled mine. BTW the stud screws fully into the gearbox.
Hope this helps
Bob

Many tks indeed for the Pics Bob. Very helpful indeed. Now see I do miss: a metal sleeve (only have one) and the washer with the round edge, also did not realize half of the rubber bush sits past lower plate edge.

Best,
Gianni

1 Like

This picture for the standard transmission shows only one spacer and no washer inside the bushing. Is this different from the automatic transmission. I just took mine apart and two spacers came out but they seem too long to go in the bushing. Where does the rounded washer go? For such an apparently easy configuration I ended up with more parts than I needed and some missing parts(bottom washer Missing) I think I do need. And why is there no picture of the brace on the bottom that is on my 1974 OTS?

PS why would they put a washer between the spacers? They are too long to begin with.

Perhaps a look at this thread on the UK forum might help. Auto trans rear engine mount - The 'E' Type Forum
Bob

Very confusing. Why does the part book only show one spacer and not two?

But thanks for the information on the brace. I did not know that.

Showing a single spacer is simply a mistake. The XJ12 S1 Parts Manual has (2) after the part number to signify quantity but still doesn’t show the second spacer.

For the XJ6 S3, the drawing is revised to show the layout better and clearly shows the 2 spacers.

Thank you. That is what I was looking for.