Series 3 leaking oil all over the place- sealant?

Hi Everyone

after an engine out job to replace floor pans, have finally re-started the engine and got all sorts of leaks. The worst seems to be from the cam cover gasket to the extent that oil drips all the way down on the exhaust smoking like a chimney. Have now got new gaskets and half moon seals. The question is : sealant or no sealant ? and if sealant which one ?.

On same talking have auto gear sump leaking badly see below pics.

Now the gasket seems to have been replaced earlier and sealed with black sealant. Same question here…sealant or no sealant ? what is the bolt torque for the sump supposed to be ? Am afraid was over thightened in the past and the surface might not be square anymore.

Tks

Gianni

Hi Gianni,
I replaced my valve cover gaskets w/o sealant. A little sealant on the half-moon seals, that’s it. All I do is to wet the gaskets in engine oil before assembly. I guess the best gaskets to get today are the cometic but not sure which ones I even have.
There is an “upgrade” available for the half-moon seals. You can search the V12 forum for details.
I’m afraid that you’re right about the gearbox oil pan. I sure looks like sealant with a good chance someone over tightened the bolts and pulled the bolt holes in the pan. You may be able to straighten it.
Good luck … Ole

Tks Ole. Have got the gasket from SNG Barrat no idea of the makers.

Will tackle it this week end and see how far i go (Wife permitting).

You may wish to check out Kirby Palms “Experience in a book: Help for the XJS owner”. It is a free online book that has a lot of information about our engine and the section on leaks is particularly relevant to you. http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/Jaguar.html
Cheers,
LLynn

I second that recommendation.

Can you see where its leaking?

Difficult but seems in the rear part of the covers. More on the right hand side that left. Oil collects down on the sump bolt and the drops on the exhaust causing smoke and hell of a smell. Also plenty of auto gear oil as shown on the pic above.

Wow thanks LLyn. Downloaded…now reading. Many tks for the Tip.

The cam covers are certainly wet at the touch at the gasket but it could also be from the tappet block

On mine it was mostly from the tappet block. Took the lot off and resealed it. No leaks - from there at least :wink:

Tks Ole…although quite mechanical inclined have no experience whatsoever on 12 cil Jag and am quite concerned abt cam removal and special tools needed etc etc etc…

Gianni,
I’m the same. Have a good understanding of mechanics but no Jaguar experience at all. With what you have and the help from the forum, you can do it. Sure it’s scary, but then the sensation of success that much bigger.
The only special toolsyou really need are the cam chain tensioner release tool and the cam setting tool. I don’t have the service manual with me at work, but they are listed. Cam setting oils are under $10 and i bought two to keep both cams in place during the process. The tensioner release tool is available to loan from the North America Jaguar club. Alternatively it is possible to make one yourself. I think L.Lynn made his own.
If you need more information about where the oil is leaking from, you can try washing the engine and then dowse the areas of interest with talcum (or baby powder). The leaking oil will then leave a clear trace in the powder.
Good luck with your project … Ole

Here’s a link to my blog where I described how I made the tool(s). Back On The Road: 2018
One thing I will caution you on though, if you decide to adjust the valves you will have to pull the cams out, and this is where it becomes problematic! The chain tensioner on the V12 is made of nylon and very prone to breaking when straightened and described in Kirby’s tome. When I have the engine out next time I will undertake this task but not till then. This is not to suggest it’s an engine out procedure but it will require removing a lot of stuff at the front of the engine :wink:
Cheers,
LLynn