Series 3 rear wishbone inner shaft seal retaining rings are loose, why?

I have reassembled the inner wishbone shaft with new rubber seals, thrust washers, seal retaining rings, outer washers and shaft installed per the manual and torqued to spec. The seal retaining ring or spacer (part number C17936) is loose in several locations and when I greased one of those joints the grease came out very easily.

Is this normal? Am I missing something

I’m not understanding why these retaining rings would not be tight in place unless something is installed incorrectly but everything looks to be correct. I would expect that the rubber deal would be slightly thicker than the retaining ring to allow the seal to seat and that the ring would then prevent the seal from being crushed.

I appreciate any insight into my perceived problem. Thanks

Is this both sides? It’s possible that the shaft is hung up on one side or the other, and the shoulder is not going completely through the carrier, so when you tighten down the nuts the carrier is not compressing all the components properly. Take the nuts off and make sure you can see the shoulder inside the bore of the carrier.

If you measure the width/thickness of the lugs of the wishbone that contains the drawn cup needle roller bearings, you will find that they are different. However, the sleeve that is the inner race for the needle roller bearing are the same length for each. Clearly, the length of the sleeve can’t be correct for both width lugs.

Regards,

Bill

Terry, thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at that.
Dave

Bill, thank you for the suggestion. I didn’t think that any of the components would be different given the common part numbers. No mention of keeping washers and such in a particular location upon disassembly. I’ll do some measuring. Dave

In my opinion and looking at the method used in machining this part, I think it is a FU by Jaguar that never got fixed. There is no plausible reason for the difference.

Regards,

Bill

Don’t disagree. I never would expect the lugs to be different. Washers maybe but not with a common part number.
I’ll do some measurements and see what I can find.
Appreciate the advice.

Dave, here are some pictures and my description of what I found with my Series 1.5. I think what @angelw is describing is the same. With the wishbone “lugs” being different thicknesses you may need different length inner bearing races for the bearing/assembly to work as designed.

Thanks Rob.
I haven’t been able to get back to it yet but all the suggestions are leading in the same direction.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Well as it turns out the lugs are not the same width and the bearing tube is longer than the lug and 2 thrust washers. One side is significantly smaller, the other is just a few thousands off. So there is no way it would tighten up on the thrust washers, seals and seal retaining ring.
So now what is the solution?
My thoughts are a shim (or shims) to at least make the lugs the same width.
Any thoughts?
Kudos to Bill Angel for nailing the problem.