Series 3 storage damage

you’re right Danny, an MOT or Tüv as it’s known in Germany doesn’t actually mean very much.

Getting a professional assessment is the best advice

thanks for that

Ian

hi Paul
yes it’s stuff like sticky valves that worry me- you only really know when you have stripped it for inspection and better replace the seals.

My impression is that the car has had some work done, not sure how much I feel inclined to pursue this one as I want a driver and not a project.

I will let it sit for a while- either it will bought by somebody else or a better proposition for me will turn up, as they do every couple of weeks or so . .

Ian

1 Like

the dealer says the MOT will be ‘new’ so he has probably got it to a reasonable condition and the MOT will be a formality for him- common practice in Germany. Dealers have more ‘possibilities’ to get an MOT than ‘normal’ people . .

you’re right, all this stuff has to be checked over.

Question to the seller will be, how much of that has been done properly.

I can see this car slipping away as I want a driver and not a project : (

MOT is no problem for a dealer- he has to promise that the car will not leave the workshop without all safety matters sorted . .

the vacuum hose thing is good information

whichever car I buy, I will definitely spend some time changing out service and aged parts- coolant hoses, plug leads all fluids.

But it’s the time consuming and not so easy seals and stuff that I will need to know about

those are pretty horrible pics Craig

looks like quite a bit of work to clean it all out- and of course you have had to strip the heads to get to the block . Not what I really want to get involved with . .

putting new engine mounts on my list of stuff to do which ever car I buy- good advice on how to spot saggy ones.

PS I still haven’t worked out what the 2 square black mesh intakes are- manifold or brake cooling? or something else?

looks like they have got it up to a reasonable condition.

it’s the hidden stuff that I would have to find out about- vacuum hoses, oil seals and similar . .

this could be a very steep ‘learning curve’ job

hi Dick

yes there’s the rust question too as with all these old cars.

As you can see from the pictures I posted on Saturday- the overall condition doesn’t look ‘bad’

but it’s at a dealer who will have more possibilities to get the car MOTed (Tüved) than normal people.

I’m nearby Frankfurt and there is a classic car shop in my village so I plan to ask him to spare some time for me when I get serious- if I go for the white car, it is only 3 hours away, so I would go and see it on my own first to check out all I can, then get Felix to give me his blessing (or not).

He probably has . . can’t remember what they’re called- ‘camera on a bendy stick thing’ to check cylinders and chassis

I’m not in any hurry, have too much other stuff to do at home (old house always needs work) but I really would like to be driving an E type in the summer : )

Hi,

My car is in the MTK area for now, 1972 Euro version OTS, sold new in Belgium.
I bought it from Munich 10+ years ago. Unrestored car, at the time 70.000kms, now 116.000kms of which I have done 46.000kms.

The hood (aka “top”) on that white car has been replaced, all convertible hoods from 1967 onwards were “Everflex” vinyl. It seems to sit ok, which is good, In have seen a few that have 1-2 cm gaps to the side screens and are obviously not very watertight. I will fly to Frankfurt this Thursday, but unfortunately need to continue to Munich that same afternoon. Will be back on Feb. 5th.

The tires would have to be new, as in my experience over 10 year old tires, and/or tires that do not meet the speed class and weight rating of the car are an immediate TÜV failure.

Rear overriders have been deleted? passenger side deluxe mirror might suggest an US car that has been “non-federalised”?

Post more pics and ask more questions for your concern. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

2 Likes

that’s nice Pekka
send me pics and details (price ! )
looking foward to meeting you
Ian

The square mesh things are cabin air vents, openings at the front of the footwells and controlled by the pulls on the side kick panels. New foams are available thru SNG. At least it doesn’t have all the US smog garbage on it, higher compression and more power.

1 Like

thanks Bruce
I would never have thought of that
something else for my ‘replace’ list ; )
thanks
Ian

Hi,

fuel hoses in the engine bay, all of them. I replaced all on mine in 2013 and now plan on doing it again.

Cheers!

1 Like

Ian,

That white SIII in Taunus looks very similar to one I worked with while living in Munich, and that co-incidentally, I took out of a long sleep as well for a friend (it was not mine)

I think you have all advice you need here in the list.

My own experience:

• You must enquire about everything that has been done to get the car running before it went to the market. Clearly there are new wheels and battery, but you really must know everything.

• The 4 carbs and related hoses would be my first concern before even taking it for a spin: in the one I took out of a similar sleep, they leaked like crazy without and warning when the seals perished rapidly (and they are not easy to get get sorted), fortunately the aluminium in the heads and block was fine, but 20 years of coolant decomposing (as said before) did no good to the engine -was the coolant changed during the storage?-).

• Needless to say (as has been said) that any rubber component in contact with chemicals (coolant, hydraulic/brake fluid) must be replaced unless you have clear evidence that it was been done.

But that interior looks very clean, and unless something is seriously wrong, recommissioning is something that can be done nicely at home.

Good luck.

Ll.

hi Luis
yes it might just be the same car, but different to my hoping- it is not for sale and ‘if’ it would clearly be above my budget ; )
Yes, I have gained a lot of excellent information and will slowly but surely continue on my search.
It really seems like the white car might need more work than I can put in.
But there are the others, and new offers coming up each week on mobile.de
I would love to do a ‘biggish’ rebuild/overhaul as a sort of hobby but I prefer to buy a car to drive and improve on over time.
If nothing more interesting turns up in the next month or so, I will probably succume to temptation and at least go and see it- who knows.
I had a similar case when I bought my 1981 Ducati back in 1988- the ad’ did not do the bike justice and it was in fact exactly what I was looking for : )
I will keep the thread going or start a new one with a new topic . . .

many thanks
Ian

yes, this was the test pic upload
but I wouldn’t mind owning it
problem for me is my size- 192cm and 110kg
I don’t fit in the 1s and 11s so easily, which I think a series 3 would be better for me.
best wishes
Ian

1 Like