Series 3 XJ6 wouldn't start, and then it did, why?

When I tried to start the car to-day engine would crank but would not run beyond a few seconds. The last time I drove the car the week before last it ran okay. I don’t give up easily so I continued to try to get it started nearly a dozen times.When it finally ‘caught’ it idled roughly so I kept the RPM’s at 2000 for a few minutes before finally taking my foot off the gas pedal,at which time the engine idled 'normal." I drove it 7 miles to an event I’d planned on attending. When I left the event several hours later the car started up immediately and I drove home without any problems.
I ask you folks on the list, what do you think happened here? My guess is perhaps a chunk of dirt became trapped inside the fuel pump or fuel lines which eventually got flushed out. Comments and postulations are welcome.
Mel R

Weak spark or not enough fuel pressure :smiley_cat:

I would think not enough fuel pressure since it ran well after revving it at 2000 RPM for several minutes once I got it started. If there was not enough spark I would not have been able to enjoy a strong start and smooth drive home several hours later.
Thanks

I doubt it is a fuel problem, other than possibly in the fuel injection (electrical) system. Fuel pressure, filtre, etc. don’t normally seem to be very symptomatic, then asymptomatic…electrical gremlins do. Fuel pump going out(?)-(possibly). Check the easy stuff first…such as take dizzy cap off and look at the inside of the cap, rotor and coil areas. If they all look good, then you have a lot more sleuthing to do.

Blame it on gremlins, Mel - it’s a convenient term for inexplicable temporary events…:slight_smile:

I’d like to know more about the prestart weather conditions. In humid conditions and the engine cooling overnight water may condense on high tension components, dist lid, plug leads, plugs and coil etc, as ambient air increases. Adding the odd incident when coolant was dripping onto the dist lid from a leaking radiator hose…:slight_smile:

This will cause ignition problems, misfiring/crossfiring, but as the parts heat up the water will evaporate - and ‘normal’ running will resume. The ‘cure’ is clean high tension components - and silicon spray…

But if the problem recur; the best idea is to investigate while the symptoms are present - finding absent fault is notoriously difficult…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

The Prestart conditions were as follows: During the week the car was not driven (it was in an enclosed garage) we were subjected to daily high humidity conditions coupled with cold for southern California temperatures in the low 50s Fahrenheit and copious amounts of daily rainfall, so much rainfall that authorities have declared our two year drought officially over. Today was the first time weather forecasters predicted zero chance of rain which was why I took the car out for a drive today as I never subject it to rainy weather. Your theory makes sense. I’ll keep you updated. Thanks
Mel R

Ideal conditions for wetting the engine, Mel…

In the meantime; wipe the outside and inside of the dist lid, the plug leads, plugs, coil lead etc with a dry cloth - then lightly apply silicon spray on these parts.

This will cause water to ‘pearl’ and run off rather than making a film that will short out the ignition - preventing a repeat - however unlikely…:slight_smile:

If the event is indeed repeated; open the hood and crank - any high voltage shorting will be clearly visible.

And I thought; ‘…hate California, it’s cold and it’s damp - that’s why the the lady is a tramp’ was a joke…:slight_smile:

Frank

1 Like

We can use the same term as doctors use, when they don’t have a clue: idiopathic. :slight_smile:

UPDATE
Six days later I decided with outdoor weather conditions being ideal, to go out for a drive. To my delight the engine started up immediately on the first turn of the key and performed flawlessly throughout the drive. I’m convinced the difficulty starting it up last weekend might have been caused by an unwanted chunk of sediment which may have found its way into the fuel line or fuel filter which ultimately found itself worked loose.Thanks to all for words of advice.
Mel R

Any odds it was the weather, Mel…:slight_smile:

Frank

Either or at this point it’s anyone’s guess…The good news is the malady is gone now and I am pleased

1 Like