Series II Coupe - Window cradle removal from doors

Hi there,.
I am in the middle of rebuilding my Series II Coupe and have come to the doors that need to be dipped. To do this however, I need to remove the window cradle and lift mechanism which looks incredibly complex.
Before I begin the exploration of thIs on my own, is there anyone who has had experience with this mechanism and can provide some guidance or can recommend a detailed technical reference that explains the best way to both remove and re-install the mechanism. Especially the cable/pulley setup.
I have a factory manual but the steps are not very clear and the parts referred to are often not able to be sighted as majority of the mechanism sits behind the door frame.
Any advice would be welcomed.

Regards
Whitey

Whitey,

in fact I’m not sure whether the coupés’ technology differs from ordinary SII sedan front doors. I was once into my doors and IIRC you can undo the rails holding the glasses from underneath. You have access through the inside with the windows partly down. If you undo the (three?) massive bolts from inside the window lever mechanism comes loose and can be taken out (or rather in …) as per the ROM.

Try to take notes or better pictures while pulling the whole thing, because refitting is the real challenge.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Hey Jochen,

Thanks for the reply. I was not expecting it to be a direct reply via email though.

I have already taken the glass out many months ago to get to the seals and other bits in the door (handles, locks etc.)

What I need to do now is actually remove the cradle that holds the glass. It is apparently spring biased and this is the part I’m not sure about. It references the spring in the ROM but does not show an exact location.

As I said in my post, it is difficult to see the parts as the door frame hides most of these.

And yes, refitting is indeed the real challenge. Copious notes and pictures have been taken.

Anyway, I will let you know how it goes. Surely there has to be someone out there that has done this before…….just not getting any replies at all from the forum.

Apart from your good self of course….

Thanks Jochen

Regards

Geoff.

78 XJC 4.2

Geoff,

ahm … I didn’t PM you, but replied on the webforum. It depends on your setting whether you receive e-mail copies of all messages in threads you started or direct replies I suppose.

Do you have the ROM available? 86.25.01 describes the removal of the window lift motors quite well. It looks as if you had to remove the channel that holds the glass by undoing the two nuts connecting the lift arm to the channel. All of this needs to be done when the window is rolled down to about 1" above door and the lifting arm and the quadrant are firmly clampe together as they will be under spring tension.

Good luck

Jochen

Jochen,
Yes I discovered the email setting and have amended. Thanks for that.
As it turns out, further inspection has revealed that the original tensator spring and the bracket have been removed completely. Perhaps the PO had door repairs completed. Which begs the question of how the window ever made it up at all. Lots of strain on the motor. Trying now to source new springs. I have a local contact who is looking at getting some made from scratch.
Getting the motor & regulator assembly out should be straight forward. It is the window cradle and pulley system that was the issue. Especially removing the tension from the tensator spring. Which now is not an issue.

Appreciate the feedback Jochen. I should now be able to get on with the rest of the door repairs and next remove the door skin for a deeper look at the frame condition.

Thanks Jochen

Whitey & Jez.

No problem. With +40-year-old cars advice based on books is only as good as coincidence has it that the car still corresponds with the books …

As regards your special problem I’d probably chase for just any original window lever mechanism. Restoration of just about any existing part should be a lot less challenging than building something from scratch without even a blueprint.

Why do you plan to remove the door skin, if I may ask? There is nothing inside the door and along the door bottoms you cannot see with a mirror and a flashlight. Unless serious rust damages were visible, I wouldn’t touch an otherwise functioning unit … but that’s just me, of course.

Good luck and keep us posted

Jochen,
Removing the door skin to ensure there is no rust under the join. there seems to be some rust on the join although looking inside the door and outside there is no visible signs of corrosion. However, the repairs that have been done to this vehicle were simply dreadful. so not taking any chances. Besides, door skins are no that hard once you get the first one done.
I discovered tonight that the left hand door still has the testator spring mechanism. So only need to replace the one. Getting an original tensator spring would be akin to winning the lottery twice in the same week. Possible but not very likely. finding the original bracket even more so. The quest begins…

Thanks for your feedback Jochen. Much appreciated.

whitey + Jez

Hi Jezzabel,
I am about to undertake the same project as the one on your thread here.
Would love to hear how you got it done.
At this point, I am trying to find he way to remove the motor…
Thanks,
E