Series II FHC Windscreen. Who Makes One That Fits?

Please let us know how it goes. Need one for the same jag.

Well, It’s Done

The glass shop I use installed the windscreen this morning. The fit is good, no distortions or visible flaws.

This shop had never done an E-type before so it might have taken them longer than if they did them regularly. It took 90 minutes from the time they removed the old glass and installed the new glass, gasket and locking strip. I had removed the four pieces of chrome trim prior to taking the car in and will reinstall that myself. The shop ordered the new gasket and locking strip from SNG.

One note, the new glass didn’t come with the glued on button for the rear view mirror, so they removed the old one from the glass and reinstalled it on the new. Good! I asked them to mount it higher on the glass so the mirror wouldn’t be so much in my line of sight.

Hagerty was great. Given their reputation I didn’t expect anything less. I notified them of the damage on a Friday afternoon and sent them pictures of the damage. The next Monday morning they approved the claim and agreed the chip’s location dictated replacement rather than repair. They worked with the shop to handle all the payment and paperwork direct so I’ve no idea what the cost of the parts or labor cost.

1 Like

Hi John,
Just a word of caution which may be as dated as I am, I did this back in 07 and the replacement piece I bought looked great but when I tried to fit it I discovered it was just a hair thicker and there was no way I could get it to conform to the curves. I finally gave up and used the original piece with it’s blemishes, the blemishes stopped bothering me years ago. YMMV
Cheers,
LLynn

I found that Murphy’s Oil Soap, with the proper lock strip tool, worked well.

I did have an aftermarket weather strip, though, and the chrome trim would not go in, despite hours of agonized effort.

Thanks, good advice. I was able to remove the distortions. If I don’t induce any additional ones with the installation I’ll be golden. :grin:

1 Like

This is encouraging news. Thanks for letting us in need of glass know

Pictures of it installed with the chrome in place.

“Look Ma, no cracks”. :laughing:

1 Like

Nice! New glass was one of the biggest improvements to my car.

Looks like they did a great job John!

Erica, Les: Thanks, they did. I drove it back to them just now so they could take pictures of the car in front of their shop for their facebook and print advertising.

1 Like

Pilkington glass is it. Maybe they made a fresh forming mold

Great job, John. If I need new glass, I think I’ll drive down to Russellville and have your shop do it.:smiley: