Series III Power steering olives

Good day

power steering of the car leaks from the union between the external pipes and the valve and pinion assembly (even whit the pump not running). Have ordered two new pipes and see in the part drawings that there are olives to be inserted between the pipes and the pinion housing. Now looking inside the housing does not seems my car have any installed, or at least do not see them. I do see one installed where the longer pipe attached to the steering unit (and no leaking there). Now how many olives are supposed to be used and where exactly?

Many tks

Best,
Gianni

Gianni, don’t remember from my rebuild, but the parts page on SNG shows 2 on the steering rack housing.

Hi Ole

Tks yrs. That’s precisely what puzzles me. The parts catalogue shows 2 olives , one small and one big. The big one is almost surely for the high pressure hose from the steering pump (could not fit for the copper one since too big) but for which one of the 2 copper pipes is the small one ? the short of the long one ? Moreover, as said can see an olive also installed on the rack housing where the long pipe connects. Either they installed it in the wrong place or there are more than 2 in total.

I believe the two olives are for the pump hoses. The pipes going to the steering rack and direct pressure to the steering rack depending on which side the wheel is turned seem to have the flared pipe ends similar to those on brake lines.
Maybe someone on the forum have a more definite answer.