Shocked & Confused

Well, more precisely, confused about shocks … :confused:

I was curious as to what kind of shocks, front and rear, we need for our XJSes (well, Superblue, my '94 4.0) and was looking at what’s available for it on Ebay. I’m confused though by all the different terminology being used in the shocks for sale on there.

Some of the Ebay vendors are trying to sell me “monotube” shocks, which apparently are also called “struts”, while others are claiming the proper fitment for my cat is a “double tube” shock. Then there’s some speak about “gas-adjust” shocks … Unless they know something about Superblue that i don’t, I don’t believe she has the SLS system on her … :confounded:

So, which type of shock is it? There doesn’t seem to be much of a price difference between the different types. So, is one type better than the other, and can they be interchanged on the same car?

Struts are a more common name for McPhearson Struts which Jaguars do not use, they take the place of the upper wishbone on our cars,
https://goo.gl/images/qfPLrD

mono and twin tube shock;

Look for the SLS and understand how it works, then find out if you have it. If not you can try for compatibility on ebay, or try to find the correct part number either directly from the car or via a parts catalogue. Adjustable can make sense but might come at a cost: I’m sure a few here have debated shocks and maybe ‘The Book’ has a few suggestions?

I don’t think a US-spec XJ-S ever had SLS. In Europe the word was that the EU started requiring self-adjusting headlights at some point, apparently people loading too much stuff in the trunk and then blinding oncoming drivers was considered a serious problem. Many car companies opted for SLS instead of the self-adjusting headlights. I think the facelift XJ-S may have had self-adjusters on the headlights.

There’s a distinct possibility that vendors are confusing the XJ-S with the S-type. The S-type is a later car and may have come with SLS, I dunno. Heck, it could have had McPherson struts for all I know.

Gas-a-just is a trademark of KYB shocks, however they are not adjustable. Just a name.

Some people who don’t know any better use the terms struts and shock absorbers interchangeably.

XJS never had self adjusting headlights or shocks.
I think the Series 40, had a self leveling suspension system.
That had so many issues it was immediately dumped.

I put Bilstein shocks all the way around on my 94 4.0. Looking back, I think I was mistaken.
Once I replaced every rubber bush in the suspension, it seems I lost that magic carpet ride that these cars are noted for.
If I was to do it again, I’d ensure all, and I mean all rubber bits are in new shape and then install OEM shocks. The Boges are cheaper and I think would restore the original ride.

Gordon