Short gear shift lever

My '63 Mk2 was recently fitted with an all synchro four speed with compact overdrive from a 420. On checking cars at a recent event I realised that the “from new” MOD cars have a shift about 35mm longer out of the console than mine does. It has always felt a bit short such that if I move the seat forward I am too close to the pedals. I have seen extensions on other cars and they are usually made just below the gear knob. I have attached photos in case this is of use to others. Paul.

That’s nice work. Are the pins a press fit?
Ron

Hi Ron. Thanks. There’s a little clearance for JB Weld. The sleeve went over the whole lot - JB Weld again. Back in the car last night. Much better. Paul.

So your o/d transmission did not come with a shift lever and the one that you modified was from a standard 4-speed Moss box? I’m thinking of my own 62 mk2 which I converted from automatic to 4 synchro o/d from a 66 3.8s. I used the stock 66 shifter which must be the long one - I’ve never found it to be too short.

I honestly can’t say where the shifter came from as I bought the box and overdrive with the shifter as an assembly. Shifter definitely short compared to others - could make the shifts - just conscious of reaching. Paul.

Lever is probably from an E Type, they are shorter.

I have one with a Moss, must admit that did not occur to me. They are indeed shorter.

The wife couldn’t get the car into top so I had to crank the lever forward a bit

Well, that’s not going to break anytime soon.

Its been perfectly fine for the last 25+ years (that the car it was in has been sitting in the garage :smiling_imp:)