Should I Buy It? What Should I Watch For? Photos!

A nice fellow has steered me here… my first post, so here goes.

I have a chance to buy a 2 owner 1988 XJ6 with 100,000 miles. It’s the one with the 4 round headlights. Test drove it today and it seems quite nice. Smooth! Rear leveling working fine, interior is beautiful and paint is nice albeit some rust bubbling up in the original paint in front of the front doors at the bottom, and in the rear quarter panels. No warning lights on however when I tried the 4 way flashers, the “bulb failure” indicator lit up. The gas hood shocks are shot, hence the ski pole propping up the hood. Everything works as it should. Has a sunroof and original alloy wheels look great. The owner wants $3000.00 Canadian. Thoughts on what to look for?

Here’s how it was advertised: “Near Mint 1988 Jaguar XJ6. Fully loaded. Leather, sunroof, power all. 235 HP straight 6. 101,000 kms. 2nd owner. This is the last year Jaguar manufactured their vehicles in England. Always garage stored. Good running condition. Great summer vehicle or a classic Sunday driver.”

I have some photos… attached. Thoughts?

This is an XJ40. The experts for this model hang out on the XJ40 forum.

`Looks in good condition, I am just wondering where Jaguar took their manufacturing post '88 :slight_smile:
Check the roots of the fan, they can develope micro cracks.
I do not know if the States or Canada received cars with the run flat tyres, you can tell as the tyres size is 2xx/65/390mm as against 15"
Digital dash can have problems with the circuit board that the components hang off causing soldered joints to crack.