Sick to my stomach

Didn’t factor in the “border” issue.
Road trip with the Mrs. Saltarelli ?

Border’s closed to road crossings.

1 Like

I recently went through 3 years of chemo. Between doctor visits, lab visits and hook-up days in the comfy chair lounge I took either the MGA or the E-Type to every visit except for rain. I tallied up 37 guilt-free car runs during working hours. I dragged everyone to a window to show off just a bit. We have to look for the heads-up pennies where they lay.

2 Likes

Somewhere, somehow… that will be on the hot rod!

My grandmother’s. She had a miserable childhood, actually watched Dr. Zhivago’s boys raid the family farm.

This is crazy. Looks like you and your skills will have to tackle it.
Hoping for 2021 to be a better year…

1 Like

Here’s to Grandma!..:grimacing:

It had a slight bend or two on the edges, but was largely unmolested until I showed up.

Never one to accept defeat (sounds familiar…sorry) I decided to tackle straightening the radiator support bracket in situ. I loosely zip tied a 2 foot long 2x4 to the underside of the bracket, marked the distance between the two radiator support bolts that point downward, removed the 2x4 and drill two 1.5 inch holes centered over these two bolts and then I removed the two bottom nuts securing the radiator to this bracket.

I then zipped tied the 2x4 securely to the underside of the support piece. There was enough room with the bend I had created by jacking it up to get a c-clamp between the top of the support and the bottom of the 2x4 and slowly tighten the c-clamp to straighten the support bracket. I just took a break to order new rubber washer/bushings for the radiator support since the old ones crumbled when I took the two nuts off.

2 Likes

See? It was the Universe telling you something needed fixing!

Now Geo, in defense of female ‘Jan’s’ everywhere, one of my male friends in my car club is named ‘Jan’, just sayin’.
Cheers,
LLynn

2 Likes

You’re right.

For all I know someone was noting the date… January something or another, and got interrupted.

1 Like

There are kinder ways for the universe to notify me about crumbling rubber washers…LOL

I have the radiator support fairly straight at this point, but I now see that the dent in the hood had a small spider like crack in the paint…that can’t be good.

1 Like

As mentioned in an earlier post, I fell victim to your same circumstance. After the paintless dent remover guy did his thing, I did a little bit of investigation. I had the radiator support straightened. Then, wanting to check out just how much clearance there is between the radiator and the bonnet, I placed things of different thicknesses, such as a thin rubber backed carpet. There is VERY LITTLE clearance! After gazing at the radiator placement and the contour of the bonnet, I came to appreciate the incredible feat of engineering with the E Type. It really is amazing that all that engine, radiator, etc, etc is placed with a covering bonnet having the design it has.

On the other hand, it’s one of the reasons one doesn’t take the clutch off the E-type so much as one takes the E-type off the clutch. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Modeling clay is very useful for that. Place a cylinder, about the diameter of a penny and about an inch high on the radiator, AC compressor, whatever, and close the bonnet. Open the bonnet and measure how compressed the clay is. As you’ve noted clearances are tight.

2 Likes

I did the exact same thing while jacking up the car. The garage was dark and I thought I had the jack in correct spot. Now I have two dents on the hood. To strengthen out the radiator support I put a small length of angle iron (a steel bed frame) under the bent part. Then I used clamps to pull the bent part down to the straight angle iron. Once I got the radiator frame pulled down so that it was flat against the angle iron I bolted the two together. I had already predrilled the angle iron so I only had to drill through the radiator support. To make sure that I had the radiator low enough I put a towel on it before I closed the hood then I pulled the towel out. If the towel didnt come out I would know that it was being held between the hood and the radiator. It did work. As for the dents they are still there. I can’t use a dentless place because the paint has a little crack in it.

1 Like

You need something like this

2 Likes

I’ve had paintless dent removal done on other cars where the paint was cracked or chipped. I used touch up paint on it. If the guy is good he will not mislead you about the probably outcome.

1 Like

I too have a bit of a crack too. No missing chips, just two or three crack lines from the center of the dented area.