Side glass rubber scrapers Mk10

This is such a bummer. The original ones were poor and had shrunk, leaving 1/2” open. The new ones from SNG are too fat to fit in the chrome channel. I cut a thin section off with a fresh razor blade, and am using battery terminal smear to ease the friction. Can get about 1/4 of the way before I get stuck.
Ordered the similar product from Down Under, but they have a very hard plastic base which prevent the screws that hold the chrome strip, from fitting. They might be for the XJ6.

Such a pity that SNG can´t get their act together and insist that the Chinese make products that fit properly,
I did this job on my blue G about 30 years ago, but the seals must have been smaller in the section that sits in the chrome strip. I remember that it was hard work, but not impossible.

Heading off to bed now😱

Hi Peder, I think we discussed this recently on the forum ?

I used the ones from Australia, and the part num is the same as XJ6, as I recall.

The rubber foot fit perfectly within the chrome retaining strip from the car, and I had no problems fitting them whatsoever…its a must to remove the chrome retaining strip, after the 2 bits of timber. I replaced the 4 rusty screws with SS

I should have pics and will add them later for you

The only issue I had, is each glass was not the same distance within the door frame, varying from 8 to 12mm. ~10mm is optimal. If they are to close, they dont always sit perfectly on the glass, but they do seal out all the water perfectly.

The gap is adjustable, but a fair bit of effort

Pay very careful attention to trimming the ends, as you want NO gap

Agreed, but what about the very stiff plastic part, with black flock on it? Or did I get the wrong part from Australia?

I remember the 10mm limit. I am ok on this, on all 4.

Still, it’s sad that the current seals are too big to fit in the chrome channel. This was not the case back in 1989.

give me a few hrs to post those photos…there was much debate they would work at the time, so that is why I got photographic evidence

PRIMER TO FIT 420G WINDOW OUTER SEALS, WITH PICS

Us Zenith owners have to stick together, so here is how I fitted mine, and couldnt be happier after 4years.

This is to help anyone else, Peder, I know you know as much about these cars as anyone, you have probably tried all this, but the results speak for themselves

The supplier was Scotts Old Auto rubber in Oz…the part number is NOT the same as XJ

This is the part you need, to stop water running down glass on outside (such as rain), and into your door…I have never needed to replace the INNER to glass felt in any Jaguar, (or other car)

Weather strip - outer 216.036 $19.91/lth 1.8m lth

here are many pictures, that will be pertinent if you are trying to do this job. I believe the process to be the same for some other Saloons, such as S-type

1. Chrome retaining strip for seal exposed to remove screws from inside

2. with retaining strip screws removed, old seal rubber evident

now something interesting…it is technically possible (and the suggested method) that these seal can be R&R externally WITHOUT fully removing chrome strips…these pics show…it is different direction with front and back doors…I do NOT recommend do it that way

1. same part…inner view…that is where you can feed the rubber…I spoke to a gent that did his that way

ok…here is a pic of the profile of the rubber foot that needs to slide into the chrome
mine fit perfectly
DSCN0766-crop

starting to feed the channel into the slot

NOTE…if you want the rubber foot to slide easily into the chrome slot, the channel must be cleaned of all old rubber. It simply wont go in without thus step. I used the correct lubricant, rubber grease, and it slid in easily…till you get this

the trim is all the way in, slightly bunched…very carefully trim it till you get this

you want to trim the seal right up against the window frame…note there is old black sealant fore & aft, this can be easily renewed with black sealant

You REALLY dont want this (pic of poorly trimmed old seal, leaving gap for water top pour into)

finished product…tighter than a fishes wats-is-name

DSCN0769-crop

Question… trying to learn. Why does the wood capping on the inside of the glass need to be removed do replace only the rubber wiping strip on the outside of the glass?

Because the screws that retain the chrome strip are on the INSIDE of the door

see pics 1-4

Thanks. I will order them from Scotts.
And let SNG know that once again their parts are badly made and don+t fit. (Theirs are 20% larger than the original ones, and hence do not fit in the channel).
What make is this famous red rubber grease?

let us know how you go with the window scraper seals…the last bloke told me they were out of stock …I was just admiring how good mine are after 5yrs or so

PBR is an Australian Company that makes brake parts, so I doubt it will be readily available outside Oz, but some equivalant maybe

I use it on all rubber parts, including brake seals

My local brake shop proprietor has confirmed it is suited for brake assembly, better than brake fluid if the parts are to be stored long term

(its blue colored by the way)

Late to this thread too!
Tony, I just received the 216.036 from Scott’s in Australia and its great.
Not long ago, I managed with difficulty, red rubber grease and all, to install the SNG type seals into all four doors.
With judicious use of small U-shaped packing shims against the outer face of the chrome moulding strips I was able to get a tight seal by tuning to about negative 5 thou with the relatively hard SNG seals against the glass and with Rain-X applied to the glass also able to get a tight seal and still able to operate the windows without sticking.

However, I don’t like the SNG seals, they are too big and too hard. So I’m going to change out to the Scott’s seals.
I notice that in post 5 you show a pic of what appears to be both types of seal in your hand, the SNG seal is between your fore finger and thumb, and it appears that the flap on the Scott’s seal actually faces downward slightly on initial installation and is then deflected up and then remains that way against the glass.
Your 3rd pic in post 5 seems to show the flap slightly downward facing.
Is that right?
If so then it’s very similar to the original Neoprene Jaguar seals.

Thanks.

Hi Nick,

not late at all as this thread is meant for eternity :grinning:

First off, did you remove the inner wood cappings and take out the screws that retain the metal strip that holds the rubber seal ?

Its very important to attend all this in my opinion

Regarding the seal orientation against the glass:

As you have pointed out, shim adjustment is possible, but another issue is the angle which the rubber blade intersects the glass, and I will give you some information and update

Somewhere or other I uploaded a crude diagram showing the old blade angles up, but the Scotts one was basically perpendicular to the glass, however what I think happens is that eventually if you do evrything right, they end up hardening into the “upright” position

Therfore what will happen, is the blade must make full contact with glass, but will roll down when window winds down, will “roll up” when window goes up

The critical thing is to make sure they stay upright as much as they can, ie if wind window down, wind it up a tick to upright the seal

I have been doing and testing this since install, and gratifyingly, at least one now retains the upright position at all times

The others you have reminded me to go check

One other point. Its really important to get a tight butt seal where the end cut meets the chrome uprights. It would seem that these may also shrink back minimally over the years, so do not leave any gap watever initially, as you can always easily trim some away with a razor, but if there is is a gap, water can get in

I will look for my diagram, I have over 8GB of MKX/420G pics :grinning:

I bought and installed the scrapers from NZ on the front doors. One door was perfect but the other left a small opening on half the strip. I missed your trick of using shims, to bring the chrome retainer closer to the glass.
I didnt fo tge rear doors as removing the wood didnt get access to the mounting screws of the retainers, if i remember correctly.
But I never wash ny cars with water and dont drive in the rain, let alone park it outside let alone an hour or two in the shade.

How do you live!

I think on my S1 the seal has hardened in the upright position - sure! But it is probably supposed to close the gap when the window is down all the way, and otherwise be angled upwards, as it would be difficult to angle them down/up especially with manual winders. At least on my car there’s too little space.

Mine work perfectly

The rubber ( on my Scotts Old Auto Rubber seals) is initially a bit soft, not stiff like wiper blades for instance

Over ( a long time) it goes hard

The one I tested now stays “rigid” in the upright position, previously it would roll up or down when the glass moved

Contact distance is 8-10mm

Its important to get everything just right, with the shims if needed (I did not), but there is a slight variation in mine.

As long as you have full contact, not too close, its good

I will be working on my 420G today hopefully, so will update

Scotts Rubber was $20 fir a length that was enough to do all 4 doors, and I have some left over

I cannot recall any problen with the rears

In my opinion, the tiny screws that hold the metal retaining strip to the door itself should be replaced, as they rust and become seized.

I had to drill a few out, used anti-sieze on the new ones

Had a look at mine yesterday, and can report the following

2 scrapers have achieved the “fully erect” status

1 (my driver door( has not

1 (the PS rear) the handle was super sticky, very rarely used, so I will have to get that going), so unknown

I did observe the successful ones have an intersection of rubber and glass such that the rubber edge is half covering the glass when it is just below it

The one that still rolls up and down fully covers the glass

This reminds me of my install procedure.

Measure glass to rubber outer edge and this distance should be ~2mm (half glass) less than seal width, which is 10mm (I think)

This is time to correct any problems, such as skewed, too close or far, with the door frame shims, which is no small undertaking ( why I did not do it)

Therefore I can conclude for a perfect job, the glass should be equidistant at all points, and ~8mm, so the seal can intersect the glass 1-2mm

I still maintain this seal is very important, the MKX doors have fibrous mat to absorb sound glued on the outer skin. Water runs down that seal from the outside, wets the matt, and rusts the outer skin

Only vehicles that have been pampered have escaped this fate

In my area, you cannot really “not drive in the rain”, as it rains twice what it does in London or Melbourne, so if out on a longer trip, it can just start raining with a heavy thunderstorm

I avoid washing my car as much as possible, but it must be done at least a couple of times a year as an absolute minimum

Tony, Peder, Dave et al.
Definitely this was was no small undertaking.

My install procedure was very similar to Tony’s.

I did end up aligning with packing shims as required all 4 window frames for correct height, parallel side channels, compression of weatherstripping around the doors and operation of windows so that they would fall down naturally by gravity with the regulators removed without binding. This was a fairly important first step in the process.

Then accurate measurements were taken from the outer face of the installed glass windows to the waist rail chrome strips at all 5 mounting screw locations on all 4 doors. The original seals had shrunk enough over time that there was no longer any contact with the glass.

After that, I lowered all windows so that all the chrome strip mounting screws could be unscrewed.
Followed by removal of all four window frame assemblies so that the remaining top screw at all four chrome strips could be removed. The top screw at the front on the front doors and at the rear on the rear doors. Window frames first then chrome strip/seal assemblies second.

After removal of the chrome strips all 4 were cleaned of old seal and the new oversized and overly tight SNG seals were installed using red rubber grease to assist and by using a dull blade screwdriver a 1/4" at a time. The seals were left slightly long fore and aft. This was a long long process due to the oversize issue of the SNG seals.

The 4 seal and chrome strip assemblies were then measured for total width on the bench. Amazingly it was fairly consistent with all 4 assemblies and at various points within the assemblies. By deduction the right size of shim was determined. The shims that fit are the same size as the U-shaped frame packing shims used between the top of the door and the glass frame. 3/4" x 1/2"
I used some of the 1/32" and 3/64" thick shims but mostly they were less than that from 0.010" upwards in 0.005 increments.
The shims were attached to the outside face of the chrome strips with silicone adhesive, for easy removal which would required several times in some cases.

Next, all window and glass frame assemblies were reinstalled into the doors into the already pre-determined alignment positions. The single top chrome strip mounting screw at all four doors was pre-tightened to just allow the chrome strips to engage and be disengaged into and out of position as need be without any further removal or disturbance of the properly positioned frame assemblies.

The chrome strips would then be carefully laid and slid into position and the inner face mounting screws fitted.
I found it necessary to increase the mounting screw size from the #4 AWG originals to a #6 AWG for a more secure hold.

After preliminary installation the seals were carefully trimmed to the exact length to be snug against the Bailey channel rubbers. I found that a small amount of gasoline on a rag and wetting the matt knife allowed for a smooth cut.

I didn’t know how small a gap would work for preventing water ingress into the door cavity or how tight the seal could be against the glass without sticking. So the first step was to aim for zero clearance between the glass and wiping edge of the seal…

Next, at each mounting screw location at all four doors, feeler gauge measurements were taken between the face of the glass and the wiper seal contact edge.
Generally in most locations the gap ended up being between 005" and 015" thou. Even though I had aimed for zero. I suspect that firm tightening of the mounting screws accounted for this discrepancy
Anything more than 005" gap and the water went in easily!

Then the chrome strips were removed and the shims were increased in thickness where required and after much back and forth experimentation I found that somewhere between negative 5 and 10 thou was required to seal well but not bind the glass. So an interference fit of 5 to 10 thousands of an inch.

This is much less than the 1 or 2mm found by Tony.

The issue is that the SNG seals are about 60 to 70 Shore A scale durometer. Too hard for this application and significantly harder and less flexible than the Scott seals which I estimate about 30 to 40 Shore A.
EPDM rubber also has a high surface tension and noticeably higher friction dry when compared to the original Neoprene seals.
I tested coatings of, dry and wet silicone film, dry PTFE film and Rain-X applied to the wiping edge of the seal. Compared to no coating, the silicones were about the same friction, Teflon was higher friction surprisingly and the Rain-X was a bit less friction and works well for now.

In conclusion, a lot of time was spent trying to overcome an oversize and fundamentally incorrect wiper seal product for the application.
The factory didn’t have to use shims, take detailed measurements or spend hours fitting per door!

I’ve got it to work for now with resolve as have apparently many Etype and early XJ owners that use the same aftermarket seals.
But I’m irritated and I am going to give the Scott’s seals a go and have high hopes and a degree of confidence that they’ll work much better.

I will of, course, do it one door a time, this time around!

Nick

Wow, Nick, you sure went through a lot.

I recall doing mine. I just slid the rubber back into the metal trim piece after I got it back from the chrome shop. I screwed it in and installed the rest of the window assembly. I never gave it a second thought.

I just went out in the garage to look at mine. Tight against the glass and no binding. I guess I got lucky or maybe they were selling something else back then.

The fight for me was the front 1/4 window. That was a real pain.

Hope it all works out.
Micah

I think 2mm is way too much, and 1mm may even be excessive (I did no shim adjustments, so this saved huge time)

However, I feel that .005 to .010" is “risky”, hope you dont suffer from shrinkage

After reading various ordeals, I took a tip off a multi-Zenith owner and used MK2 front qtr vent seals

They need a couple of pieces excised out, and butt glue with Loctite 306, but fit almost perfectly

Off course someone after my writeup says he fitted the MKX seals to his and they were perfect, which is in conflict with most other info