Size of nuts used for dash board top

There are several studs which are attached to the dashboard top. I have been unable to find the size of the studs in the parts manual. They look to be heavily painted and I will want to run a die over them to clean them up, It is important to know the correct size first, I am guessing 10-32. Can someone advise correct size?
Thanks, Mike Moore 67 S1

Mike,
According to the parts list the 4 studs that secure the dash top to the body use 3/16"-32 nuts - so #10-32 as you summized.
-David

That is my remembrance of what was on my Jaguar.

If originality isn’t paramount… I have found that using coupling nuts on the outer most studs make disassembly and reassembly much easier.

4 Likes

That’s a great idea and you’ll never see them unless you crawl down in the footwell and look up.

Thanks David!

Great idea!
Thanks, Mike Moore

10/32 at both ends?
And now does that make it easier?

I find it much easier to get a socket on the nut when it extends down a bit. There must have been some issue that this helps overcome (been a few years since I last did this).

As I recall it’s one of those cases where you can see the part and touch the part… but not both at the same time.

2 Likes

perhaps it allowed you to feed the nut up in a short socket and thread it on?

I hear you. I say, How come everything I put on this car has to be attached left handed with my eyes closed (do by feel only)

2 Likes

“How does that make it easier/”. I went to the hardware store this morning and was about to buy 6 ungtil I saw the $6.99 each price! It wikd make it easier because the nut is larger and you can hold on to it to get it started,f. I have r and r’d the top several tims onmy own car so I can suffer thouigh this again, Nice, but a luxury!
Mike Moore 67 S1

1 Like

luck me, just paid $1.19 each.

If I could FIND the magnetic inserts that came with my set decades ago that would probably solve the problem.

I’ve resorted to stuffing a wad of paper in the socket so that the nut is at the top of the socket. That makes it easier. To keep the nut from falling out of the socket I “shim” it with a bit of paper towel so it’s held more or less tightly in the socket. One the nut is on the threads the paper shim can just fall away when you remove the socket from the nut.

I still like the coupling nut idea though.

Look for 10-32 Kep nuts. They have a built in star washer which keeps the nut at the top of the socket, and obviates the needs for an additional washer.

$10 get you 50 stainless ones on Amazon. Should be available at a local hardware store.

2 Likes

I don’t think they’re 10-32, no matter what the book says. I think they’re BA2, which are very close but not the same. The original nuts run in smoothly, but if you use a 10-32, you’ll find it gets sticky after a few turns. This is because BA2 is about the same diameter, but 31.4 TPI. It’s possible that it’s 10-32 and the grade of fit is unusually high, but I doubt it. I use 10-32 nuts, but I’ve run a die down the studs to reshape the threads.

1 Like

I’m a paper wad guy myself! I liked the idea of the coujpling but not the $6 each price/
Mike Moore

1 Like

10-32 nuts worked fine for me without a die being run over them

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-rare-earth-magnets-67488.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12188110073&campaignid=12188110073&utm_content=118758436204&adsetid=118758436204&product=67488&store=3210&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqpSwBhClARIsADlZ_TnHcJLi4h4tT_S4TmmMGEnyOhVyEjBrJtKpfqFoDumC_NaWz7iLTG0aAgiUEALw_wcB

10-32 keps nuts work the best and a little dab of strip caulk will even hold the flat washer in place while starting