Ski slope rework and random other related info

This is gonna be long but there are a couple of tid-bits I thought I’d pass on.

So I’ve never liked wood on horizontal surfaces in cars that I come in contact with regularly. If I’m gonna have wood I want it to feel like wood and take on character like wood, rather than shiny plastic that looks like wood. Mine I assume had been re-lacquered at some point due to the oozing dripping mess it dried as on the backside and it was cracking and going south like they all eventually do. I looked at the $300 one with shallow little metal cup holders and nixed that idea pretty quick, I can just hear my steel coffee cup rattling in it now. I’ve actually seldom had cars with sup holders having driven european stuff most of my life, and the XJS has a few good spots to cram a leak free tumbler anyway so no biggie. I did consider adding my own, you can get some pretty good plastic ones that others have used but I decided it was more trouble than it was worth pretty quickly. I’m also not nearly as good at arts and crafts as I am fixing mechanical and electrical stuff, as I was reminded later.

Anyway, stripped the old crud off which was an effort, debated using actual leather and spent the better part of a week of evenings reading everything there was to be had about grades and types of leather, decided that was asking for trouble (really not a fan of leather either in the long run, too fragile unless you strictly care for it as my rock hard cracked seats can attest to) and settled on some nice tan-ish (darker in person) synthetic leather with a passable grain that was most importantly, thin, durable and had its own adhesive backing. This stuff is actually intended for covering damaged seating surfaces on chairs, there are a ton of colors and patterns and it was very pleasing to work with. Also pretty easy to rip it off and recover if the need ever arises. Seems like a win.

I also had no use for the ashtrays, the stock cruise control switch (mine is aftermarket) or the cigarette lighter plug, so I took a very thin piece of aluminum and
cut and fitted it to the steel and glued it on. This was as it turns out an immense pain the rear as trying to get everything juuust right was a lot more work than I anticipated.

I should mention that the original skislope didn’t fit great to start with.
It was tolerable on the sides width wise, but the rear outer corners were really snug, like rubbed on install snug, always have. When removing you’d have to reach under and nudge the window switches forward as they’d bind up on the rear of the console a little as they arched up. I didn’t think of this naturally till I had the new aluminum glued on and was test fitting, and it was still snug but I figured ehhhh, it’ll be fine. I completely neglected, showing my inexperience with this sort of thing, how much wrapping the (what I thought of as) very thin vinyl around it would increase all the dimensions. It did indeed do so. So I’ve got the thing covered and cut the shift lever opening and do a test fit and it will not go in. Not in front and if it ever got there likely not in the back. Up front I measured about 2.5mm of space for the nose of the thing to slide under the radio and hvac knob faceplate and I was just over 5mm all said and done. So I did some quick eyeball measurement and took a ruler and exacto knife and cut the material off the leading edge but forward enough that it does not show when installed. Even at that, you can remove it with the faceplate installed, but I don’t think you’re going to install it without loosening that thing up. At the rear was much the same, the outer corners needed to have the material trimmed completely off but luckily there is a second trim piece that covers the rearward mounting screw and all that so once it’s in all is well.

Anyway, much fiddling and it’s pretty much what I wanted and looks pretty fair to my eye. And it’s not super cold or hot or plastic feeling, and I have a nice open space to lay my phone now. I also added quick charge rated USB A and C ports.
Lame photo but the lighting isn’t good in the car and it’s 1 degree out, so…

I also cleaned up a ton of wiring that’s been shoved around over the years, rebuild the blower fan motors, replaced the window switches and one flakey door lock servo.

On the window switches, mine worked fine but the pictogram was totally gone.
Those are URO aftermarket switches which are cheap and thus far work ok, they BOTH broke one of the plastic mounting clips on install, and they were not overly tight or anything. Quality hot glue has been a favorite for mending broken interior plastic for ages and a few dabs of that on the backside and all is well. It’s already what is holding the switch panel in. I did do some digging and they copied the Jag/TRW switch well enough that you can put the new rocker portion on your original switch (which has metal mounting clips and better internals) but you can’t get them out of the top without making a scratched up mess so you’ll likely have to go in through the bottom and keep track of the various parts. Can be done but I didn’t bother. It looked like you could buy about three of the URO switches for the price of a single OE one so I can live with that. The switches are identical internally, they used a different pictogram on the rocker and make a weee little cutout so one cannot install the rocker but one direction.

The passenger door lock servo has been acting up in the cold for years now, I’m usually parked indoors where it’s heated so I only notice it now and then but I figured I’d fix it. It’s failure mode was that you open the driver side and it immediately re-locks since the passenger side does not open far enough, or at all, and the switch in the servo tells the system to lock. So you get a goofy cycle.
Anyway, I pulled that thing apart, which is German made if you can’t tell by the 476 gears and over complication dripping off of it. It still worked just not when it was cold. Oddly I could not figure out how this thing does what it does so I couldn’t fully duplicate the fault(was going to stick it in the freezer). I fiddled and fiddled and tested and tested and the way it’s put together (missing a piece in the pic but it was installed) I couldn’t figure out how the heck it ever both locked and unlocked. Anyway, I put it in a baggy for later and installed a generic aftermarket one that was about as close as you get to a bolt-in. And it’s hugely quieter than the other two locks on the car on top of that. I had a plain 2 wire on hand so that’s what I installed, the system does not seem to care that the switch isn’t there and I have an aftermarket keyless entry triggering the driver servo so no biggie. I did order a matching 4 wire aftermarket one for the drivers side, it’s really loud compared to the new one. They seem to have made some effort to quiet them up so either they were always loud or the isolation material has turned to rocks over the years. The trunk is particularly clunky, will look at that another day since it still works.
What I should have done but just couldn’t summun the gumption to do after being on my back in the footwells doing those fan motors, was ditch all the factory lock stuff and wire the aftermarket unit as a standalone with it’s own relays, that would give one the option of unlocking the trunk alone, or just the drivers door(important for ladies driving alone at night), or all of it however you programed it or pressed the key fob buttons. But, this is fine. I was really sick of wiring. There is an entire roll of Tesa harness tape in the dash and center console now. Ugh.

Let’s see, what else.
The radio relay, yes there is a 30 amp relay in the console to the right of the shifter JUST for the radio, there was also a braided ground strap going to the original radio apparently that is larger than the negative battery cable on some cars. I’m sure there’s a fascinating story behind that. For aftermarket radio guys note they did in fact use red and yellow for switch/constant power which is pretty well the accepted standard color coding for such, buuuut they are backwards. So, mind that. But it’s a fine place to power 12 or 15 aftermarket radios if you feel the need to. Position those inline fuse holders so you can get to them via the passenger inboard kick panel under the vent if you ever find yourself in that area, make life easier later. My 90 also had what had to be TWO FEET of speaker wire, all black with pretty nice rubber bullet connectors, maybe they sat in the back seat when they were testing it in the car? Anyway I cut and shortened all that and it tidied up the area quite a bit.

Oh, the lighting.
As per apparently usual the backlighting for the fan and temp knobs has been barely there for ages. I’d put a new bulb in a while ago which did no good. I tried a
LED that was worlds brighter and it did no good for the panel lights, but the headlamp switch backlighting perked up quite well. After monkeying around with it up to and including buying a new strand of fiber just to see if age had somehow yellowed the plastic in this one (not really) I’ve come to the conclusion that the colored filters in the piece the fiber strands go into is the problem. The clear un-colored ones are plenty bright with the LED bulb. The colored ones are not. It’s possible the position of them on the perimeter contributes to it but one way or another unless you can direct a TON of light into them, they just aren’t going to cut it. I also disassembled the radio/switch faceplate and made sure the light transfer plastic around the knobs was intact and in good order, they were. So as loathe as I was to install more wiring, I added some rice grain incandescent bulbs to them and the temp slider underneath. I thought they would be too bright at 12v looking at them on the workbench but in use they are fine. I pulled the green caps off the instrument cluster lamps a long while ago so now they all have a nice natural light color to them. I like it, and I can read the things at night now. These were 7219 bulbs but they go by a ton of other names. There isn’t room for a green sleeve to go on them but there have been people that have found paint that worked well to color them if one desired. They fit in place of the fiber optics about as well as one could ask. I left the fiber to the headlamp switch, which I never see anyway since airbag steering wheel.

I think that’s it. I could go on about the blower motors but if you have one of these long enough you’ll cross that bridge yourself. I replaced the brushes in both motors and rebuilt the speed controller and cleaned them well, had one bad recirc vacuum pod I replaced. They seem happy, we’ll see if they leak next time I’m out in the rain, the way they but up to the cowl like that is not confidence inspiring in that regard. The seals were intact but I added some butyl sealant to the opening anyway. It’ll be a significant bummer to have to pull one of them out again.
I tried to snake my borescope camera through the cowl to get a look at them but didn’t have any luck, maybe with the wiper unit pulled out?

Oh, and I deleted the air tubes in the center console to the “rear seat”.
Figured there were better places for that airflow to go, thus far seems fine.

5 Likes

thanks for sharing : nice work, I like this leather version :+1:

the AC air pipes to the “rear seats” is just a joke, as the chances are very slim anyone gets any benefit
I wondered if Jaguar did a specific version for the convertible cars which were fitted with the cargo bench instead of seats

That’s a good question about the convertible, it’d have to be a different heater box or some caps like I did on those outlets. I figured they were pretty well useless and couldn’t hurt to have more air going somewhere more useful. Seems to blow pretty well. The 90 with airbag has that goofy knee bar piece with the duct sorta made through it that eats up a good bit of the lower outlet airflow anyway so every little bit helps.

Interesting post, as I had purchased a ski slope (£20 ebay) to see if I could laminate it myself as the black plastic doesn’t do it for me.

I’m sure you could, there are lots of laminate options out there. I’ve never been big on wood or plastic for touch surfaces is why I went with something leather-ish.
I’m very happy with it, and without the ashtray there it’s a perfect place for my cell phone to lay. I still need to find a cup holder solution, the ones inset into the front of the ski slope don’t look overly practical between the lack of depth and blocking the radio and hvac controls. I’m still pondering.

1 Like

Maybe the thinking was that there were no cupholders as the driver, at the speeds these cars were meant to be driven, was to keep their hands on the wheel? :thinking:

And they didn’t want the passenger’s drink sloshing on the driver. :crazy_face:

However, as the cars are driven now … where are the dang cupholders?

German/European cars were pulled kicking and screaming by Americans into having cup holders. I’ve chatted with a number of older German folks and they had a very rigid idea of what was appropriate while driving, drinking and eating not being included in that. It’s kinda funny looking at how amazingly bad cup holders were in Mercedes and BMW early on, when they absolutely could have engineered better ones. Then they did so and they break constantly because they are so complicated.
Cars and people are funny sometimes.

I have a pretty leak proof stainless tumbler I keep water in most of the time that I can cram about anywhere and I don’t drink much else while driving so it hasn’t annoyed me too much yet really.

1 Like

Most cars in America were automatic by the 60s/70s. Most cars in Europe remained manual, up thru the 90s, because of the needed better gas mileage that automatics robbed back then from 4 cylinders.

Not much chance of drinking while one hand on the wheel and one hand on the gear shift.

1 Like

Lots of 5th gear roads and everything is 20 miles apart most places I’ve lived in the US. I avoid automatics like the plague generally.

1 Like

I lived in England a few years with city driving, queues, and round abouts. The amount of 1-2-3 shifting was relentless. Would have had no time for a sip.

I go with automatics … have had knees which didn’t like that clutch pedal use for the past 30+ years. My knees are still okay for walking around house and limited stairs, but manual shifting got to them quickly, which is why I liked my E-Type 2+2 … it was automatic. :sunglasses:

I was in my 20’s and almost had my left knee go out! Stuck in Los Angeles traffic in a Jeep with a manual (cable) clutch.

Congested areas and cities are about the same in the US. I suspect a bit of the decline in manual transmissions is because of perpetual traffic. They even have automatic motorcycles and clutchless shifting transmissions.

1 Like

Been through LA in my cable clutch 82 Rabbit many times.

As Dickens said “it was the best of time, it was the worst of times”

My Father at 76 finally put an auto trans (first one I ever rebuilt, since tech school anyway) in the most recent truck we built last year. Prior to that he was still driving a stick but this is Oklahoma so it’s pretty open here if you stay out of OKC and Tulsa.
I made a little sign that said “old man handle” and hung it on the column shifter because I’m a good and loving son. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My XJS is automatic and I do not regret that. IMHO it is a cruiser and should be “little work” driving.
For fun, I had a 2003 Nissan 350Z manual six speed. Hydraulic clutch was pretty easy press and release.
Drove a friend’s Shelby GT Mustang…really give a leg a workout.

1 Like

I am 0% surprised that the door lock solenoid is of German origin after seeing it disassembled :rofl:. I used to work at an independent Porsche shop, and the boss’s soon (also a mechanic there, and a darned good one) once told me “after you remember that German engineers are all descended from four or five generations of mechanical clock makers, you start to understand some of their design decisions better” :joy::joy:

My XJ-S is doing a similar thing: key in the driver door cylinder does the “all unlock–IMMEDIATELY ALL LOCK” and vice versa. After seeing that photo, I think I’ll just continue using the passenger door to do the all-lock with the key for a while since that way works as intended. I had imagined it was just a sticky switch or contact (and that it was the driver’s lock that was off) but I guess it can wait until I get around to doing the door speakers.

1 Like

Yep, that’s German stuff in general. Despite being sure it was sticky linkage or a failed position switch as near as I can tell my lock control module was failing, and it was temperature dependant. All has been well using the keyless entry module directly and aftermarket lock servos. The factory wiring was useable so it was a pretty easy job.
I still can’t get used to how quiet the locks are now, the trunk lock still makes a THONK sometimes but oddly not as often as it did with the stock setup. I’ll probably replace it at some point too.