"Smart" Gauge Project Status

That term has an Austin connection, Drew. It was coined by my good friend since childhood, Bill Brain. I’ve used it virtually all my life, and did so almost inadvertently in my post. Bill was born with cerebral palsy, had a rough life because of it, and died at age 53. He had a great sense of humour. We both were electronics hobbyists. As a teenager, he built a Knight Kit oscilloscope and never could get it to work properly. He placed it in his back yard and shot it with a rifle ceremoniously. Later, we both found ourselves in Austin. I had a hobby bench in lieu of a place to eat in my tiny apartment and we spent a lot of time there. He was fond of clapping his hands loudly when I was working on some high voltage circuit, making me jump a mile. With the onset of my own ambulatory problems, I’m only now realizing what he put up with his entire life.

1 Like

1 Like

Sadly, my project is somewhat on-hold, pending resolution of the whole Corona virus mess. My PCB fab/assembly vendor is in China, and has been mostly close-down for weeks now. The “final” PCB designs are ready to go, so as soon as they open up again, I’ll get things moving again. A few of this next batch will go to beta testers.

Regards,
Ray L.

Hello Ray - would this be able to work with later models, such as 1991 XJS V12, or is this just designed for the E-Type - very impressed with your project as such - Tex Terry II 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe, 2/27/2020 1211hrs. EST USA

Since the instruments are basically the same, it should be easily adaptable to ANY LBC using Smiths gauges - Jag, Triumph, MG, Rover, etc. Hopefully, nothing more than a different wiring harness, and perhaps a few firmware/HTML tweaks to accomodate the different configurations.

Regards,
Ray L.

1 Like

Those damn Democrats… ruining your small bidness.

:blush:

Anyone on these shores who could do the PCBs?

Lots of places. For FAR more $.

Regards,
Ray L.

Hello Ray - I figured you would have an adaptable solution - just to recap that I am understanding correctly, what you would be providing is a software package, for viewing, and controlling, on a mobile phone, tablet, or laptop placed in the car, the different gauge status - along with this, you are providing a hardware package (PCB with associated gauges mounted) for direct replacement of the existing gauges (of such as presently mounted in the E-Type) - after you have fine tuned all this, then you may consider the adaptability for the barrel style gauges of the XJS - shame that there is not any source for the PCB, manufactured to your requirement, within your locality - will still be sitting on the sidelines awaiting your results - Tex Terry II 1991 XSJ V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XSJ V12 Coupe, 2/27/2020 1349hrs. EST USA

1 Like

I provide new guts for the Smith’s Temp, Oil, and Fuel gauges, new senders for the Temp and Oil, and RGB LED lighting for all the gauges. You disassemble your existing gauges, install the new guts and lights, then plug them into the wiring harness, which connects them to a controller board. The cell phone/tablet/PC is used to configure the gauges (lighting color and brightness, and other settings), using WiFi and a browser.

Regards,
Ray L.

2 Likes

Hello Ray - okay, better understanding now of your project - I will try to keep following your progress so that I will be able to know when to ask about your possible provision for the XJS barrel gauges - Tex Terry II 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - 2/28/2020 0030hrs. EST USA

Well hopefully this “typewriter“ phenomena will not be too far of of set back for this awesome project.
(Smith-Corona):rofl::rofl:

Hello Eric - glad to see that you are able to remain light-hearted during this time of the delay - Tex Terry II 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - 3/1/2020 2138hrs. EST USA

Have to keep smiling, even tho champing at the bit to get a chance to try and buy Rays great work .I was experimenting w Bluetooth senders but this is a game changer . My ultimate plan on my S 3 is to eventually have the RayGuages and actually convert the rocker section to toggles like a S 1 .
best of the old and the new…
And this also comes at a time when a case of Covid 19 (prob more we dont know about) has been diag. in my area.

RayGauges:” I think you hit the perfect name!

It’s been quite a while since my last update. Sadly, the Corona virus has been wreaking havoc on my schedule. My PCB house was shutdown for quite a while, 4-6 weeks, or so. I was finally able to order PCBs a few weeks ago, I have them on-hand, and they are working just great, so no problem there.

Next obstacle is the “SLA” 3D printer I’ll use for the mechanical parts - new gauge needles, PCB mounting adaptor, LED holders, etc. The printer has been on order for some time, but still no definite delivery date. I am optimistic the printers DO finally exist in the US, after being out of stock for quite a while. Hopefully, I will have it in the next couple of weeks.

AFAICT, the software is all done and working nicely, modulo and minor tweaks and bug fixes that will undoubtedly pop up in beta testing. I have a new development test fixture using the new PCBs, that implments the FULL functionality of the system for the first time, including the power control logic.

I’ve also just built an “instrument panel simulator”, for testing a full set of converted gauges:

Once the 3D printer shows up, it should be only a matter of a few days to having full “production” level plastics, at which point I will convert a full set of gauges to populate the instrument panel simulator. After that, those gauges will go into my car, and, hopefully, I’ll be able to put some miles on it. Here in Santa Cruz, we’ve been in “lockdown” since mid-March, and that has just been extended to end of May, so driving the Jag is out of the question.

I have two good beta testers lined up. So, as soon as the plastics are ready, I’ll be able to drop the two “beta” systems in the mail to them.

Regards,
Ray L.

4 Likes

Nice! Was wondering how progress has been coming due to the whole covid thing. And didnt want to push. Eagerly awaiting progress and be really interesting to see how the SLA printer works out !

Just got some good news - the SLA printer will be delivered tomorrow!

Regards,
Ray L.

6 Likes

Great news!

This is probably my favorite topic on the forum…

1 Like

:wink: (see me waving my hands!!)

In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible.

George Orwell

I am really happy to report that the SLA printer showed up yesterday, and today I printed the first few parts. The quality is beyond my wildest dreams! You’d be hard-pressed to tell them from injection molded parts without a magnifier. They are dimensionally excellent, cosmetically excellent, and the whole printing process is MUCH easier than a typical filament 3D printer, which far fewer things that can go wrong. I’ve done 3 sets of parts so far, and all three have come out basically perfect. Once the design is “sliced”, just drop the file into the print, press “Go”, and it’s off and running. I am beyond thrilled!

Here is the very first test batch of gauge needles, still on their “supports”:

Now my next major problem is I need at least a gallon or two of 90% concentration, or better, IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol), and NOBODY around here has ANY IPA in stock, even 70%, and NOBODY will ship IPA (I assume because it is highly flammable). It is out of stock EVERYWHERE because everyone is making their own hand sanitizer! Not sure how I’m going to deal with that…

But the printer kicks A$$!

Regards,
Ray L.

5 Likes