Smoke coming from exhaust manifold area

Sounds like this isn’t oil burning on the outside from a leak but oil burning inside the engine and leaking out of the manifold to downpipe joint!

Yes! That is correct…

So I changed the oil and filter since I couldn’t trust the non original dipstick. When I drained the oil and filter I am guessing it had about 7.5 quarts in the engine definitely not over filled. It still smokes at about 2 mins of running. I looked and see no visible leaks anywhere. Any suggestions at to what I should do next?

Drive it!

It might stop smoking, and it might not.

Sorry I forgot to mention its still a project I have the interior out, rear window, door handles and latches off and I still have to bleed the brakes. So it’s not drivable yet.

Oh, OK!!!

Run it ip to temp, and see if the smoking lessens.

Okay yep will do… I have been hesitant to let the garage fill up with too much smoke because I live in a condo people will think the complex is on fire. I will let it run to temp at night that way no one will see the smoke. I will turn the fan on too…

C’est une problème…:slight_smile:

Yes it is… I will run it up to temp tonight with the garage lights off and fan on hi. Hopefully it’s not a full moon tonight. :grinning:

Okay so I finally let it run up to temperature and the smoke is definitely going away. When I started it I noticed the tach jumped all the way near the end and stayed around that position but the car was idling fine. Also after running it up to temp the battery was pretty much dead when I turned it off and tried to restart. It’s a new battery. Alternator issue??

Got a DVOM? Easy to check.

Digital volt/ohm metre just for clarification :innocent:

1 Like

Yes I do.

I have only used to test the battery. Lol

Running, it will tell you if the genny is working: off idle, with all electrical stuff on, you should see no less than 13.2(ish) volts,at the battery.

No load, 14.2(ish).

Okay got it thx…I will test it tomorrow and report back. I appreciate the help.

1 Like