Smoke, oil leaks, heat

Ha ha, as a friend regularly says wistfully while his Porsche 911 remains at the shop awaiting work, if you want to drive a 1970s car, you need two …

Hard to be certain, as one tends to get used to the sound of an engine until someone points something out, then one only hears that particular sound…

But I think it is new. Mechanic thought so as well.

Can’t drop the sump on an XJ6 in situ? I think the front crossmember runs right under the middle of the sump.

Correct. One can drop the subframe - @Jochen_Glockner has done it.

1 Like

Here! His PO did.

Happy New Year everyone.

So the garage dropped the sump and pronounced the last rites over the crank and its bearings. They are replacing them (reconditioned crankshaft).

Anything else they should do while that stuff is out that wouldn’t be worth doing once they put it all back?!

Thanks

Nick

Oil pump inspection.

1 Like

Inspection of lower timing chain tensioner for separation of pad from piston?

I second that. If the crankshaft is shot, high probability that the oil pump is too. Same oil lubricated both.

1 Like

Thanks, yes a new oil pump has gone in. Will ask about the timing chain.

Do you any photos of the damaged crank and bearings? I can’t bring myself to believe that just replacing the crank is the way forward.

Will take some tomorrow when at the garage. But what else would you suspect?

I’m joining this thread late but presumably the crank /bearings have failed for a reason, so until you determine what that is simply replacing it won’t prevent it happening again soon.
What’s the mileage on this Engine?

Here are a few pictures of the worn elements. Mechanic thinks the underlying cause was simply a failing oil pump.

Interestingly, with the engine now out, they said that the rear oil seal WAS out of place. They reckoned that in tightening everything up they had reduced the leak to something acceptable, but the first mechanic had probably been correct in identifying that as a problem …!

It may or may not be cheaper to regrind the crankshaft but the sad truth is that in Europe at least it is probably cheaper to get a crankshaft (<250€) than to regrind it.

That shell shows a LOT of damage from lack of oil.

Nick, inspect the center main cap and block journal, if there is any “blueing” or evidence of running hot you will be wasting money on a crank grind.

1 Like

So as the engine is now out of the car, will you have a complete strip and rebuild, oil gallery flushing etc etc

I don’t think they’re doing a complete strip and rebuild exactly. They know about the prior overheating. I don’t have the vocabulary to understand everything they are doing but have told them to do everything that should be done while the engine is out and have to trust they know what they are doing. The guy has been rebuilding Jaguar engines for 40 years so I would hope that is the case. Engine is now back together and they are just waiting on some subframe bushes (I think) that they noticed were shot before they put it back in. Then they are going to run it a bit in situ.

Hi Nick and happy new year!

I’m not familiar with the XK engine, but an other thing that comes to mind is the gaskets, O-rings and hoses at the oil filter housing.
And the hoses at the power steering pump, they tend to cook down there.
Very easy to do with the engine out, but big PITA in situ.
Also, don’t know if it’s possible or not, the transmission front seal.

Since they just put a new head gasket in, assuming it was done correctly, it would be a complete waste of time and money.