Some new welding techniques for everyone

Gerard

YUP, stupid is what stupid does.

so this guy has many interesting Youtubes on panel repair…but I cant believe my eyes

He MIG welds with no eye protection…ever!..how can he do that ??

If you go to 23.30 in this vid, you will see, but he does it all the way thru his vids !

He explains it in one of his videos. Says he hides the arc behind the Mig tip to shield his eyes.

I wonder if he knows how much damage he is doing to his eyes ? I’m guessing he must close his eyes every time ? I had only about half a second of a flash while using a stick welder a few years ago and my eyes were so sore for about two days after. It felt like they were full of iron filings or sand and they wouldn’t stop weeping. Even if he does close his eyes everytime he starts the arc he’s still damaging the skin on his eyelids and the rest of his face with all that radiation.

its like looking into the sun accidentally?

thanks for the reply…given his level of skill, I thought either I am going mad, or there must be some rational explanation

I am a bit doubtful that electromagnetic radiation of some kind isnt damaging his eyes somehow

I am sure there is lots of damage. I once got a burn from an open v neck in my shirt that was not shielded by the helmet. It burns and peels just like a sunburn except there was no tanning involved. Everything to do with welding involves nasty stuff.

1 Like

Tried to weld once, looked like in the video, removed it all again, we had no clue what we did. No eye protection, knew about the UV radiation of course so I closed my eyes and had the tip in the way but must have looked in the arc for more than a second. No burned eyes just a very light light sunburn on the fingers from two hours plus of trying to get a proper continuous weld.
You do get a tan from welding though.
Had it done properly and one day I will have a welder and nice welds.

Arc welding without eye protection increases the chance for cataracts in the future, at the very least.
I can understand the temptation with MIG welding - it’s hard (at least for me) to see where the arc is going. I don’t weld enough to get that down by “feel.” But then, the persistent bright spots left over in your vision if you don’t use eye shielding make it hard to see, too.

Dave

any who welds without proper protection should try and get special il insurance or deent vegas bet, all payable to your fav.