Something wrong here?

Just listed a few minutes ago.
Sounds way to cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Jaguar-E-Type-Series-1-5-Roadster-XKE/112948869677?hash=item1a4c46fa2d:g:5P8AAOSwOy1avA4u&vxp=mtr

NAYYY

Reminds me of my car, and I doubt mine is worth that much. Series 1.5 pretty much in name only, as it’s got a Series 2 bonnet. Clearly, as with any E-Type, a thorough pre-purchase inspection is called for. Price is pretty close to what a black '69 Series 2 went for on BaT in similar condition recently. Of course, with the BaT car, there was a lot more information to go on, including known faults and videos.

-David

Look at the gap behind the right door from the rear angle and the front quarter view. There are gaps and then there are gaps. The type of gap shown indicates some real tub issues - almost looks like it had or has a ‘broken back’.

scroll down to the underbody pic. Looks like a homemade footwell? It looks poorly maintained to me but I’m not buying.

1 Like

Those panel gaps are scary, and the seller has been careful in the pictures to not really show it, looking from the top I don’t think I’ve ever seen that much rubber. When mine wanted to do that it turned out that I had a broken engine frame pushing the bonnet forward. Wonder what else is not being shown. Also, the fit on the truck lid is just lazy, and I suspect the trunk floor is about to rot though. The passenger seat mounting also strikes me as a safety issue, wouldn’t want the seat tearing loose in an accident because someone has cut the bracing down to fit washers in there. So no, I’m pretty sure it is not to cheap.

Perhaps I have your bonnet and you have mine.

But… but… it has poiple spark plug wires!!

Just by the few pictures…that looks like a fright pig.

1 Like

John,

I’m referring to the E-bay car which is a S1.5 with Series 2 bonnet. That pretty much makes it a S2 to my mind, or at least a S1.75 :grin:

-David

1 Like

This is all beginning to sound like Harry Potter’s train platform…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Lots of incorrect parts on this, including the engine (at least the cam covers are wrong, they are clearly series 2 along with the bonnet and the center dash panel), should be no arm rests on a 1.5, wood window winder/center dash panel/shift knobs are incorrect, triple SUs clearly not stock (but some consider this an upgrade so understandable), incorrect tail pipes/resonator, and I’m sure much more. Appears to be a Frankencar- several cars contributed to this one :wink: That and the aforementioned panel gap issues, overspray, and potential rust issues, this would be a no-go for me at this price.

1 Like

Mark,

What Hagerty web site are you looking at? I just looked at the hagerty.com web site, and for a 1969 OTS the figures are: #1 Concours $159K, #2 Excellent 114K, #3 Good $66.4K, #4 Fair (Daily Driver) $39K. I think you may have misread? The S2 OTS values have been pretty much flat on their web site since May 2015, though there is a very slight downward trend. Do you have a pointer to the article that suggests you unload the S2? I recall an article on Hagerty quite recently that suggested you unload S3s, but didn’t see one about S2s. I’d be interested.

The article I’m referring to:

Thanks.
-David