Source for good sump return hose

Bill and Steve I got the fitted hose recently from Classic Jaguar also. I just removed an old hose that looks in identical condition as yours and installed the fitted hose. So far just 15 minutes running in the garage after also doing the periodic coolant change and it seems like it will work much better than what I had. Thanks very much for the tip.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

Did you happen to notice whether the end of the pipe fitting on the sump was strait or was it flared out? I don’t know if any were flared from the factory, but a lot of them seem to have been flared. Mine was, Drew’s was and other people’s also were. It may just have been a common, cheap modification people did over the years to try and get it to stop leaking.

If it is flared, and you use that silicone hose there, the sharp edge of the flare can dig into the inner surface of the hose. It did that on mine because I failed to notice it when I installed it. As a result it created a failure point and continued exposure to oil caused the inner hose liner to desleeve itself. Parts of It ended up in the filter housing and in the sump.

Silicone is more fragile and susceptible to mechanical damage than harder rubber is so if the pipe has been flared it would be very prudent to remove the fitting and flatten it out by rolling it around in a bench vice. Then it will be safe to use that hose. Clamp it only as much as needed to prevent leaks. It’s not under great pressure so that would 't be very tight at all.

1 Like

Erica
The end was definitely flared at the lower connection. Thanks for the tip.

The exciting thing for me is that by doing some simple things I’ve almost completely eliminated oil leaks.

1. Oil level to the lower hash mark on dip stick.

2. Replace sump hose

3. Replace washer on oil drain plug

4. Replace washer gear case washer

5. Use sealant on threads

6. Tighten the large 1" nut that holds on th fuel (I meant oil) filter adapter.

The result has been to go from a quart or so each month of driving to maybe a 1/2 quart every 45 days.

On the down side this means I’ll have to change the oil more often :slight_smile:

As I mentioned, I got the flare out of Drew’s fitting in about 10 minutes by snugging it in a vice and rotating it until it turned easy. Then take another quarter turn tighter and rotate the fitting again. Keep repeating this until it’s half inch even.

Sounds like you’re making good progress.

I did not notice the flare since most of the time I was working by feel from underneath without a lift and with indirect light when looking from above. Now that I go back I think I can feel a flare at that spot when I squeeze on the hose. Thanks for the tip.

David
68 E-type FHC

Yours has a washer? Mine is simply an NPT plug. Never knew if that was original on a S1

It was an old white nylon washer - cracked and worn. I have no idea if it was original…

Re oil level markers on the Jag dipstick. Couldn’t resist sharing this.

Jalopnik: Citroën Sabotaged Wartime Nazi Truck Production in a Simple and Brilliant Way.

1 Like