Spanners C178 & C305

Guys, if I can add some info to this interesting topic - here it is.

Below You see two original Stevenson Jacks that came with my mummies MKIV’s.

Both lifting arms should have been painted by Stevenson :slight_smile:

Great pictures Mateusz.
Both confirm my advice that C204/A Jack has inner end of lifting arm painted, after assembly into the clamp, thus bolt head and two lock-nuts similarly get painted red.
Your 3-1/2 litre example I have to say is now my record for how far along the black arm, the red paint extends, which makes Anthony’s restoration now mid-range. Most I have seen are more like on the RHS 1-1/2 litre example, albeit extent of original red paint better determined from inside the top and bottom recess of arm, not so vulnerable to wearing off, what is pretty poor paint adhesion over a black-oxide finished arm.

Can I ask - do either Jacks have a MM/YY date code stamped under-foot, and can you make out brand of both the clamp setscrew and the lifting-arm pivot bolt.

Roger

Have the tube spanners been found? I may have some.

Hello, unfortunately I haven’t located any at this time. Do you require any dimensional information? I look forward to your reply.

With best regards,

Anthony.

What are the sizes? ill check tomorrow,

Hello, the outer (C178) is 3 1/4 inches in length, sizes are 7/16 B.S.F & 9/16 B.S.F, The smaller inside spanner (C305) is also 3 1/4 inches in length, the smaller end is a square, 1/2inch x 1/2 inch , I’m uncertain of the size of the other end, I only know it’s small enough to nest inside the other. I’ll attach some images of both. Cheers.

With best regards,

Anthony.

The C.305 is 1/2" x 1/2’ square outside dimension, and the hexagon end is .380" inside AF.
This box spanner is for the REAR AXLE.

Can anyone advise what is there on an SS-Jaguar, and Mark IV ENV Rear Axle that both ends of this C.305 fit/ suit? The 1/2" x 1/2" outside dimension suggests into a recessed square plug?
The .380" hex says fits over the top of a 3/8" AF hexagon headed bolt or setscrew, but I would like to know exact parts, that warranted this C305 Box Spanner to be added to SS-Jaguar and Mark IV tool-kits.

I suspect the square box is for adjusting the brakes.

Peter

Roger.
The 1/2"x1/2" suggests that the hex is larger than .380". more likely
3/8 BSF.
As Peter suggests the square is for brake adjustment, the relevant
dimension being the internal square at approx point 44" with the hex internal at point 6" A/F, point 6" approx being the standard 3/8" BSF
hex A/F size. This is the size used re the retaining nuts used on the
diff assembly to axle tube, the bolts that hold the outer bearing
housings and the bolts holding the crown wheel to the diff housing.
Needless to say that a box spanner would not be my choice when
working on these axles.
Peter B

Of course, its .580" AF internal dimension for the larger Hex end.
So its a special size, most strange - so must have a specific application.
5/16W is closest standard size - but that’s to large a hex head at .595" to .600" according to BS.190:1924 in the old standard, or 3/8W at .592" to .600" according to BS.1083:1951 in the new standard.

Roger,
I suggest you try it on a 3/8" BSF bolt, if need be , give it a tap with a hammer. Remember that spanner size 5/16"W is also 3/8 " BSF.
Peter B.

And certainly not by the side of the road. But then the SS1’s had spanners to adjust the { ENV] diff bearings. Which might indicate a long stay by the side of the road.

1 Like

Given the excellent feedback/comments re the C305 Box Spanner, albeit I remain not 100% convinced without photos. Apart from suggestion that the square 1/2" x 1/2" end applies to brakes adjustment, that is at odds with being described as for ‘Rear Axle Bolts’, and I note that the controlled/specified dimension applies to the outside of the square, not the inside - suggesting intended to go into a recessed square-hole drain/filler plug.
Indeed one suggestion I have is that ENV rear axles did come with a mix of filler-plugs with recessed-square-holes, or with protruding-square-heads, but again I have no photos or reliable advice of dimensions. As before the hexagon end, again is specified as the internal hex AF size as being .580" (And best not get into the debate here re old Whitworth sizes versus new Whitworth sizes).

I also wonder about exact purpose of the C178 box spanner, this time with sizes clearly marked on them - 7/16"BSF one end, and 9/16" BSF the other end.

So can anyone tell me what both ends of this box-spanner was used for on an SS-Jaguar/Mark IV Jaguar.
The Box Spanner is described as being “Shock Absorber Bolts”
One clue I have - although a stretch, but maybe not, is one end suited the Adjusting Nut on SS100 front Hartford friction shock-absorbers, but the other end suited all Saloons and Coupes (and 100) Luvax Hydraulic shocks. If anyone has original SS100/SS Jaguar Hartford and Luvax shocks, I would love them to check.

Roger

I would think a box spanner to adjust the rear brakes would be difficult, because of the lack of room. Where-as an open ended 1/4"BSF spanner would access with the less issues.
The adjuster square on a MK IV is about .435" [ say 7/16"]