Spark Plug Colour - It’s just like reading tea leaves

My XJC recently presented with a bit of a miss when cold and my immediate thoughts were possibly fouled or dodgy plugs. Replacing the NGKs with some new Champion N11Y’s, all is well and good once again in Jag land.
I did however note that the plugs looked quite different from 1 to 6. Now given that I’ve had the engine fully rebuilt, including the carbs a couple of years ago, with less than 10,000km on that engine, I’m just wondering as to why the difference in appearance of these plugs?
What do the different colours mean and what might be causing this difference from no. 1 plug through to no. 6?

Hold on, I think I may have worked it out. Front carby, is probably running too rich. May need to give the SUs a good tune. Thoughts?

That would be my guesstimate!

Rear carby too rich if you numbered them rear to front. Other carby looks a bit lean–should have some light tan on the insulator. IMHO.

1 Like

I agree with Robert_Wilkinson, You probably have the cylinders numbered wrong.

bob

It is interesting that Jaguar numbered the cylinders in their XK engines (3.4L, 3.8L, and 4.2L) from the firewall forward so #6 is at the very front of the car and #1 at the firewall, and they also numbered the cylinders on the 5.3L and 6.0L V12 engines exactly the opposite with cylinders #1A and #1B at the front of the car and #6A and #6B at the firewall.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas

1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

:thinking: correct you are! Too many cars to keep track of, yes numbering of cylinders is shown in reverse.
Thanks;

Carryover, I suspect, from aircraft engines, where the “flywheel” (prop) end was at the front of the plane.

1 Like

They supposedly did that, so the story goes, because the engineers that designed the XK engine during wartime were all aircraft engineers …and apparently it is common practice to number cylinders from rear to front on aircraft…
FWIW

PS: What he said above…zzzz One of these days I’ll learn to read the entire thread prior to responding…

1 Like

Spot on, John - if you have numbered the cylinders from front to rear…

As Paul says; Jaguar numbered the cylinders from the rear - but your line-up implies that you got that wrong…:slight_smile:

However, one cannot exclude the possibility that both are running fat, but an air leak cause one to run to lean. Or that both carbs require some attention - as Bob remarks; three plugs are suspiciously clean. Which may also indicate an air leak…:slight_smile:

Whatever; three cylinders are running fat…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

even though I am quite familiar with Jag engines, I still mark the firewall & or head with a discreet number 1, its very annoying to get things mixed up and easy to do, (it also means I have to do the reverse on other vehicles I work on)

Just for clairifcation. cyl 1 is at the back (bulkhead), and 6 is closest to the radiator. that being said, I would say either a vacuum leak around a the front (4-6) or carbs may need some love.