Spark plug replacement

Need help removing the throttle position linkage mounting bracket. so I can change plugs 5a, 6a, 5b and 6b. Have removed one bolt but cannot get to the other bolt. Any ideas?

I used two crow’s foot wrenches.

The socket extension in one crow’s foot, then I fitted a 3/8 square drive I made from a 1/2" bolt into the other crow’s foot, with that crow’s foot on the bolt.

Before I put the throttle pedestal back on, I drilled two holes through the top to allow the socket to go through.

4 Likes

Now that’s clever !

Cheers
DD

1 Like

While more working room is always nice I’m sure the plugs can be removed with the pedestal in place

Cheers
DD

Doug, maybe … but I couldn’t get to mine (especially the two 6s) without removing the throttle pedestal … but I didn’t find my special Jaguar V12 sparkplug socket until afterward.

Might be able to get to those two with that socket? :thinking:

For me, 1/4" drive and extension with swivel socket makes it easy. 3/8" is too bulky.

Starting the bolt on reinstall is a bit harder, for that i put a piece of masking tape on head of bolt so it sticks inside socket. Then i can start the bolt ‘by hand’ with extension.

Yes, spark plugs can be done with pedestal in, but not only is it super easy with it out, wiring the plugs is much easier, and its a great time to clean the vee. Remember to readjust throttle linkage rods. The pedestal can easily shift 1/16" with R&R.

I’ll add, with pedestal out, replacing both oil pressure senders is also super easy. If they are old, I’d just replace them. Not too expensive. And they WILL eventually leak.

1 Like

Exactly what i was going to say. 1/4" drive swivel socket on a long extension does the trick with no problem.

2 Likes

Timothy,
I had a local hot rod shop modify the throttle pedestals in both of our V12 Jaguars because I found it very difficult to remove and replace those bolts. Here are some pictures:

Here is a link to the thread about this from a few years ago and how others were able to remove those bolts.

Paul

1 Like

I also modified the pedestal on our X-JS many years ago when I did its first spark plug change…makes it much easier to R n R