Speedometer cable drive replacement

Can the drive be removed without pulling the four speed manual transmission?

Hello Conley,
If you’re referring to the external, angle drive to which the cable connects, then yes. If the internal drive gear mounted on the Main Shaft, then no.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for the reply, was not expecting one so soon. I need to replace the speedometer drive shaft that is in the side of the rear extension. Is it possible to disconnect the drive shaft, transmission mount, and get enough room to remove the drive without pulling the engine and transmission? I have rebuilt the speedometer, cable is good, and angle drive works so I suspect the drive is broken.

Hello Conley,
Yes.
Before removing the whole drive assembly, clean the area thoroughly and draw a couple of witness lines using a permanent marking pen between the exposed body of the speedo drive and the housing from which its being withdrawn. There is a 1/4" dog point retaining bolt at the side that spigot into a location hole in the side of the speedo drive body. These witness marks will aid in aligning the location hole of the speedo drive with the threaded hole in housing that the speedo drive resides in. That only works of course if the holes are lined up and the dog point bolt is correctly spigoted in the location hole of the Speedo Drive Housing. Often its not if its been got at before.

Its important that the location hole lines up with the threaded hole in the housing, for if it doesn’t, there is the potential to deform the mouth of the location hole and thereafter, make it difficult to remove the speedo drive. I see this damage often; therefore, it seems to be an easily overlooked precaution.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks. Will give it a shot.

I got one out like this, but it was borderline uncomfortable; the transmission needs to be pushed left all the way, I think I removed the rear and middle engine mounts, and the tunnel needed to be bent a little to get clearance.

I have the v12 with the 4 speed manual and it appears to be about 2/3 up the right side.

The gearbox is the same, the tailhousing a little longer, the tunnel will be different, even better access?

Finally got under the car and will be easier than expected. Looks like I can drop exhaust and transmission mount for easy removal. Got photos for future reference. Thanks again for your help, especially tips on removal. Another question I have is the cable supposed to have a loop ?

A full loop? Hard to imagine where that would make sense!