Speedometer Parts

Hi, The odometers in the speedometer of my 1973 E-Type don’t work, I took it apart and found a red plastic gear with a flat spot. It drives a shaft with an offset peg on it’s end that operates the little arm that indexes the gear on the odometer wheel to increment the miles. The red gear’s shaft was glued in it’s bore from dried lube. Anyone know where it’s possible to get the red gear and it’s attached shaft ?

Cheers,
Steve

This is my list of outfits that rebuild/restore gauges.
I used West Valley for tach, speedo and all four gauges.
Still in the middle of my restoration so I can’t talk to quality of the their efforts but others on JL have used them and may chime in
Don’t know that any of them will sell bits and pieces vs offer to rebuild the entire gauge

•	Gauge Guys – 9632 Humbolt Ave S, Bloomington, MN 55431  (952) 881-7095 // http://www.gaugeguys.com/
•	Mo-Ma Gauge Repair -- 1321 2nd St NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102 (505) 766-6661 // M - F: 8:30 - 16:30 // email jlobo@momamanufacturing.com // https://momamanufacturing.com/
•	West Valley Instruments - 19314 Vanowen Street, Reseda, CA 91335 //  (818) 758-9500 // westvalleyinstruments@gmail.com
•	Instrument Services, Inc – 4075 Steele Dr, Machesney, Ill  815-316-2921 
•	Speedometer Ratio Boxes - Speedometer Cables USA // 2330 S Kalamath St, Unit A, Denver, CO 80223 // 888-907-6506
2 Likes

Hi, I’ve almost certainly have this gear along with most other parts for speedometers, tachometers (both magnetic and chronometric) and clocks If you can give me a tooth count on the red gear I will have a look.
Cheers, Hugh

West Valley did my speedo and Tach and they both work perfectly. He even changed the speedo gearing to account for my change to a 3.07 differential gear set.
NAYYY…

1 Like

Hugh,
That would be incredible if you had the part !
I would gladly pay whatever you want for it.
It has 32 teeth, measurements according to my eyes and micrometer are:
OD of the red gear is about 0.435 inches, OD of the shaft is 0.197, total length including the shaft and offset peg is 0.868, thickness of the red gear is about 0.171.
Not to be cheeky but I found there was no spring holding the white plastic arm against the odometer gear. The arm has a big hook on it’s bottom in the attached photo that I thought would attach a spring. Do you know if there is supposed to be a spring there ?

Thanks again for looking for me !!!
Cheers,
Steve

Craig thanks for that long list !
I’ll look them up.

Cheers,
Steve

Doug, thanks for that I will look them up.
Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve, I tracked down the gear and shaft. As for the spring I think there should be some sort of mechanism (spring?) to hold the pawn against the gear. The speedo appears to be more modern than the ones I usually work on so I will need the p/n from the speedo face so that I can find one in my stash and look at its return mechanism. I do have a bunch of springs so I may be able to find a suitable one.
$30 USD for the gear including postage (Iwill need your address) and including the spring.
Cheers, Hugh

I used West Valley for my 69 S2 coupe’s speedo… it made a noticeable racket at any speed and the needle bounced around. Turnaround time about a year ago was less than 3 weeks. Works great and is quiet.

Second West Valley I’ve used them on several cars and tachs and speedos and everything is spot on.

That is awesome Hugh !
Here is the face of the speedo, I’ll send you my address via email, replying to your notification.
It’s a V12 speedo, 1973.
Cheers,
Steve

Hugh,

Just testing to see if this shows up on the forum before I send my address.

Otherwise do I need your email address ?

Cheers,

Steve

Hugh,

I suppose we should take this offline please contact me at my email address: sbrothers@xplornet.com.
Cheers,
Steve

Steve, Hugh,

It isn’t necessary to publish your private contact information on the public forum. You can use the Private Message system to communicate with another member without doing so, whilst at the same time keeping private commercial transactions off the model-specific forums.

To Private Message another member, simply left-click on their avatar (the circle with their initial or photo at the top left of any of their posts). A window will open up with a blue “Message” envelope at the top right. Click on that, and then compose a message to just that person. It will not appear on the public forum. When the targetted recipient logs on, they will see a notification (a dot by their own avatar at the top right of their screen), and when they click on it will see that they have a private message. They can click on that to open it, and reply. I hope this helps you conduct your private business away from the prying eyes of the public internet, while keeping the forum available for public discussions.

-David

1 Like

Just sent you a pm David
Cheers
D

I had a similar, but not quite the same, issue with the gears in my speedo. There are two of them, one for each of the odometers, and both had cracked, causing an erratic needle. Morris Mintz at West Valley Instruments, who has done great work for me on a couple of gauges, has the gears but will not sell them - I asked, and quite understandably he declined - his bread and butter is rebuilding gauges and those gears are not exactly easy to come by. In my case I inquired about alternative sources in this forum and fellow llster @gbrinker generously sent me a couple of spares he had, gratis. That was 10 years ago (and still working great, Gary. Thanks again!)

You’d best be advised to figure out and address whatever it was that caused that gear to fail. In my case it was dirt in the gauge.

In conclusion to this topic I got the red gear from Hugh, who lived nearby and we met at a car show. I have installed it and it is wonderful to see those odometers tick over again !! Thanks again Hugh who has an excellent stock of gauges and spare parts.
Cheers,
Steve