Spin-On Oil Filter Conversion

Hello All,

I have been changing paper filters on myXK for the last 20 years and finally I have just bought a Spin-On Oil filter conversion hoping to make the job a little easier in the future.
Although a 150 car my engine is from a MK9 which has the same filter arrangement as a 140 (I believe)

I bought the kit from SNG Barratt (UK) which stated it was for a 140 with a Tecalemit housing which is what I have.

The problem I found was the O ring supplied with the kit is a larger section than the existing used with the paper filter and as a consequence will not fit into the recess groove. The difference (3.8mm vs 2.8mm) can be seen below. Original is the lower one.

The O-ring will fit within the housing (blue arrow) but straddles the recess (yellow arrows).

I have queried this with SNG but they have yet to come back to me. I was just wondering if anyone had come across this before and had a solution? I have plenty of spare original seals which I could use?
Any help much appreciated.
Phil

I had exactly the same problem with my XK140 with the same kit from SNG. They supplied me with another O ring but then I found the smaller one for the pressure plate was too thick and didn’t allow the unit to snug up properly - it leaked. I then dropped it and it bent. I’m staying with the old system now.

1 Like

Thanks for your response which is interesting as when i spoke with SNG they were surprised stating that I was the first person to have a problem with their kit!
Obviously not.
I am still awaiting their proposed solution (1 week and counting)
Was the smaller O ring SNG supplied identical to those provided with an original paper filter? I have a couple of those kicking around.