What was the best thing before sliced bread? :grinning:

This is a family oriented forum.

2 Likes

The spin on filter kit…

It can’t be; they let me on it.

2 Likes

Softball!

Perforated toilet paper, of course!

Good news everyone (so far!) The O-Ring referenced above does appear to be correct - fired up and brought up to running temperature twice so far and the 3 inch O-Ring is holding. No leaks in the spin-on area.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice everyone!

All the best, Dave Reva

1 Like

Dave Welcome to the 20th century!:grinning:
11 leaks gone and a simple one piece filter
Ps I’m old I use a permenant marker and date the filter as a reminder when to change the oil next

1 Like

Yes, good choice of eras. The 20th century was about spin on filters. The 21st is about cartridge filters. Jaguar was there ahead of all of them, who knew?

3 Likes

Joey great tip on the magic marker data notation! Will borrow that from you!

All the best, Dave

Yes… but I have yet to see a modern cartridge filter placed horizontally. The nice thing about today’s cartridge filters is that they drain into the crankcase and not on the floor.

1 Like

The filter on my VW Wasserboxer engine:

Ok now I have. Thanks for the education.

Enjoy my friend…
The 20th century was great
The 21st not so great
Gtjoey1314

The OF on my XJR is probably 5 - 10 deg off horizontal.

All - to revive this topic would anyone have a part number for the internal O-Ring internal to the spin-on housing? (Shown below) I developed a leak again and this year upon removing the oil filter, the base unit with the push nut came off in tandem - I presume I had the oil filter on too tight . . .

The internal O-Ring is interesting as it appears to have a ‘flat’ side and a ‘rounded’ side. Does this sound correct or did I chafe it flat perhaps? See pics below.

Suggestions and thoughts appreciated!

Thanks, Dave