SS100 at Gullwing in NY - any thoughts?

I will have to remember to suck my fat gut in whilst at these car shows in case someone is taking photos!
Me with camera bag and bald head!
Talking to another Western Australian Peter Gillette who has Finch replica SS100 body I believe on MKIV chassis.

Here’s a link to a story about the mystery SS-100 with photos of the restoration process –

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2013/11/A-Vision-Realized---Jaguar-SS-100/3731531.html#

Ron

… here’s some more info and photos –

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2013/11/Aubergine-Dream---1936-Jaguar-SS-100/3731521.html

Ron

The eggplant colored car is chassis 18023.
Great to see that alligators are useful for something.
The red Saoutchik car is 39107.
Chassis 18068 was reported to have been rebodied by F.J. Bidee of Brussels in 1946. I think this might be the car shown on page 127 of Andrew Whyte’s 1980 book.
The Pycroft car 18059 has been rebodied with standard coachwork.
Chassis 39088 is the Earl’s Court coupe.
39057 was also rebodied as an XK120 clone at one time but has since been returned to standard body.
39092 was a chassis only delivery and received a Swiss body.
39109 and 39115 had Avon bodies.
Looking over the CJA Register I see quite a few are reported to have cycle wings or clipped wings or steel wings. I was trying to identify the clip wing V8 car in Wherry but was not successful.

I see it is an early ( 1936 ) model but with a late SS 38/9 ID plate
And a 2 1/2 litre car with a 3 1/2 litre [ 120 mph] speedo.]

The Pycroft car seems to be an example or " it seemed like a good idea at the time"

As far as SS s go Alligator skins would seem to be perfect for keeping alligator insides together.

Saw this article when it ran. Was surprised/disturbed with the West’s Epixy being used on the doors. Could have made NEW door skins that wouldn’t have taxed the hinges with the weight.

Always get a kick out if seeing old customization, just not sure about some of the “restoration” firms out there quality-wise.

That is one sweet way of doing that piece.

While we were talking about modified / custom bodied SS100s . there is a new post on the Pub list of ads from an old Hemmings mag . … and SS100

Looking you’ll see it has ‘odd’ fronts to the mudguards .

Do we think that if it’s found now that this " improvement " should be retained.?

Greetings All,

Ed, not sure what I intended to write, but “sweet” was not the original word I used, pretty sure about this! Not exactly sure what spell check did to my original wording, but clearly I missed it.

Familiar with West’s Epoxy Systems on boats. It’s a great product for those not familiar with doing a proper repair. The product itself pretty good but way too expensive for what it is or does.

Thirty plus years ago I worked on sub-sea ROV’s, planing antennas for subs and a variety of other DEEP underwater things made out of fiberglass. We also made double helix ammo drums for fighter aircraft, one helix fed the ammo the other carried the spent cartridge away,

Myself and a few ohers made the ROV that found the Titanic. We made the syntactic foam that gives buoyancy to the rest of the rig.

I’m very familiar with glass and carbon fiber layup and their resins.

I found it comical that in the Hemming’s article I saw on the car, the “restorer” encountered problems with the doors. The problems he described would have found me remaking the doors wood and all.

The “restorer” recalled in great detail how the doors were jigged horizontally to keep the epoxy from running before it was fully cured. The “restorer” thought this was the correct manner apparently. Personally I wouldn’t want that method to be associated with my reputation.

The secret to any 'glass repair is to make sure pair is not resin-rich as that can weaken the repair. You definitely don’t want a multi-laminate repair to be resin-rich between layers, you negate the strength of the glass.

Those doors have to be ridiculously heavy, would hate to see the hinge wear, as they are not designed for that weight, at least that was how it seemed from his description of the repair. Plenty of resin, that he did not want moving and having to sand out later was used.

Actually found the body interesting but the original seemed somewhat amateurish in its build. One side had a pontoon fender 4" longer than the other side, go symmetry!